leaky tourqueflite 727

-

bad440

everything,all the time..
Reaction score
hey i got my swinger running.it has a727 trans.with a rev. man valvebody from turbo action and a 3500stall converter from trans king.it leaks fluid out the front pump maybee??? I just changed the front seal I used a timkin teflon seal 15.00 Anyone have a clue? PLEASE GIVE ME A CLUE i want to go racing been waiting collecting parts for the better part of 5 years FABO RULES

How did the front pump bushing in behind the seal look? If it's worn and loose it'll let the converter move around and the seal won't seal up. It could also be a leaking outer O-ring on the pump or a leaking front band lever plug. Try putting it up on a lift and removing the torque converter inspection cover and using a small inspection mirror to see where the leak is coming from. If it's the front band lever plug it's real easy to see as it's down low. Good luck

I took it apart today .The seal was chewed up and when I took it out the bushing was loose just sitting there.
icon8.gif

no everything looks ok . I only took it down the block and back.I got lucky I guess. how do I install new bushing?

They press in. I don't have a press so just had new bushings pressed in from a local tranny shop for my 727 rebuild. New front pump bushing and seal, front drum bushing, and tail house bushing.

I have a bushing driver set I use to install them. If your super careful you can even use a piece of pipe that's the right o.d. I did it that way for a few yrs. before I bought the bushing driver set. Also note you need to stake the bushing in place or it's possible it'll spin. That might be what happened to it in the first place. Someone may have replaced it and not staked it in place.

BTW: you also need to pull the front pump to disassemble it and clean it cause I'm sure if the bushing is chewed up there is trash in the pump. May have even chewed up the gears. It doesn't take but a few seconds of running metal through the system to chew stuff all up. To take out the front pump and not have the clutch packs fall out tighten up the front band adjuster and it'll hold the clutch packs in place. Then pull out the pump, take it apart and clean it, check the gears and if their worn replace them, install the new bushing and seal and assemble the pump. Then install it and re-adjust the front band. It probably needed adjusted anyway. Also check the filter as the chewed up bushing probably fill the filter with metal.

:cheers:thanks for the info will do exactly as you said .will post 1/4 mile times asap.

-
Back