learn from others fu#k ups

-
i,ve seen too many mates buy chivies,only to discover,they,ve f....... up,they should of bought a mopar in the first place

i,ve seen too many mates buy chivies,only to discover,they,ve f....... up,they should of bought a mopar in the first place

I'd rather push a Chevy than drive a ford.

Don't take your 4wd Honda passport equipped with street tires anywhere near a mud hole. And damn sure never say "I got this" or "watch this ****" near one either! You'll probably spend most of the day walkin...

I'd rather push a Chevy than drive a ford.

Don't take your 4wd Honda passport equipped with street tires anywhere near a mud hole. And damn sure never say "I got this" or "watch this ****" near one either! You'll probably spend most of the day walkin...
Or have your fat friend out in the 106 heat pushing it for hours lol Yes i remeber that chuck

Never decide it's going to be a good idea to drop a Small Block in a D50 truck just because the fenderwells are far enough apart to fit a 440 in there....

440's and Hemi's in A-Bodies (even Early A's) are the easiest thing in the world compared to that. Would I do it again? Sure, why not. :D Except if I'm going to torture myself like that again, it's going to be a 440 or a 1st Gen Hemi.

I posted this a few years ago, but it I'll tell it again, as this could have been a real disaster.
OK.
So the 383 in my RR breaks an oil ring and I really need the car. So I get this 440 (might as well upgrade) and I have to figure out how to pull the engine in my Wisconsin sand driveway. There are two tall evergreen trees on either side of the drive across from each other. I go up one tree about fifteen feet and wrap a chain around the trunk. I tie a rope around the other chain end and drag that end up the other tree and secure it to that tree. Great so far. Then I hang a chain driven block and tackle from the chain over the middle of the drive. After getting the car centered under the hoist, I get the hood off and disconnect all the clutch linkages, wires, mounts, etc. After everything is ready I secure the engine to the hoist and begin to lift it out of the compartment. As the weight begins to come off the front of the car it starts to rise. So far a fairly normal routine. But, as I keep lifting the front of the car is almost picking the wheels off the ground, so I figure correctly that the engine is stuck and needs a little coaxing. Now here is what I didn't know. As I pulled more and more on the chain the tops of the trees were going together and had actually criss-crossed. Yes, you guessed it. When I pried the engine free, the tops of the trees spread back apart, and it flew out of the car, and when it stopped bouncing it was about eight or nine feet up in the air. No damage to me or the car but it came very near to taking my head off.

I posted this a few years ago, but it I'll tell it again, as this could have been a real disaster.
OK.
So the 383 in my RR breaks an oil ring and I really need the car. So I get this 440 (might as well upgrade) and I have to figure out how to pull the engine in my Wisconsin sand driveway. There are two tall evergreen trees on either side of the drive across from each other. I go up one tree about fifteen feet and wrap a chain around the trunk. I tie a rope around the other chain end and drag that end up the other tree and secure it to that tree. Great so far. Then I hang a chain driven block and tackle from the chain over the middle of the drive. After getting the car centered under the hoist, I get the hood off and disconnect all the clutch linkages, wires, mounts, etc. After everything is ready I secure the engine to the hoist and begin to lift it out of the compartment. As the weight begins to come off the front of the car it starts to rise. So far a fairly normal routine. But, as I keep lifting the front of the car is almost picking the wheels off the ground, so I figure correctly that the engine is stuck and needs a little coaxing. Now here is what I didn't know. As I pulled more and more on the chain the tops of the trees were going together and had actually criss-crossed. Yes, you guessed it. When I pried the engine free, the tops of the trees spread back apart, and it flew out of the car, and when it stopped bouncing it was about eight or nine feet up in the air. No damage to me or the car but it came very near to taking my head off.

That's scary. Im glad your ok. I can't help but chuckle a bit as I pictured it as a scene out of looney toons! Lol

I could write a book on the mistakes my instrument panel customers have made before seeking help or advise. Instead I'll share my own goof.
I think it was a 85 model F 150 w/M400. Gosh aweful mess of vacuum lines and ported vacuum switches on those engines. Figured out which switch was bad, went to the parts counter and got one. Grabed a socket, climbed up on top and backed the bad switch out of the intake. I forgot to loosen the radiator cap and release the coolant pressure. Hot antifreeze went straight up and poped the bulb in my trouble light.
I shouted across the shop, "Troy, Walk over here and unplug this light for me".
Hot antifreeze and broken glass all over me was enough. I didn't need to ad electricution to my day.

If you are taking your a-body someplace to have new tires put on, tell the mechanic first that the left side is left hand thread.

This was on a 2.2 but is also relevant to a small block Chrysler. Make sure the distributor is not 180 degrees off before you try and start it. I blew a hole in a piston that way after replacing the timing belt on a 2.2, destroyed the muffler(didn't need that part anyway), after a set of $40 ebay pistons, a gasket set, and a quick honing with a ball hone on a drill that motor went on to win 10 feature races at a 3/8 mile dirt track.

GREAT thread! How did I not read this when it first came around?

When using a screwdriver to hold open the choke, Always make sure you remove the screwdriver from the carb before you close the hood......

My buddy was working on his car, and I witnessed the hood slam shut and the screwdriver dented the hood.....

My buddy was working on his car, and I witnessed the hood slam shut and the screwdriver dented the hood.....

I can see how that would cause a problem. I thought maybe you were going along the lines of cracked the aluminum intake.

Definitely learn from my most recent "Oops". I came home from work around 5 after doing hard wood floors for about 10hrs. For those of you who don't know tongue and groove style wood, your swinging a 3lb mallet to drive the nails over and over. Lol Anyway, I was super tired and worn out from the heat an decided I was gonna try to finish pulling the motor out of my suburban before dark. All I had to do was undo the trans bolts and motor mounts. No problem! Or so I thought. Turns out I missed a bolt I THOUGHT I already pulled. I ended up busting a 4"x6" chunk out of bell housing. My first real *uck up while pulling a motor. :(

My point is: When your too tired/exhausted too work on something and you damn well know better, DON'T FREAKIN WORK ON IT!

Attachments

• image-1678750365.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 162
Sunday I was helping my son-in-law work on his Toyota 4x4 he decided he wanted to radius the back fender wells. Put a cut off wheel on one of our hand held grinders to do the cutting with.
Put on my ear muffs and safety glasses, guess I should have also put on heavy leather gloves. oh and next time I'll use the grinder with the safety guard on it too!

Three hours at the walk in clinic and seven stitches later lesson learned!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 120
Sunday I was helping my son-in-law work on his Toyota 4x4 he decided he wanted to radius the back fender wells. Put a cut off wheel on one of our hand held grinders to do the cutting with.
Put on my ear muffs and safety glasses, guess I should have also put on heavy leather gloves. oh and next time I'll use the grinder with the safety guard on it too!

Three hours at the walk in clinic and seven stitches later lesson learned!

Ouch! Wtf did you go and do that for?!

ouch yep the older I get the more carless I seem to be I burn my hands or cut them just old age mistakes I guess.
Get well Soon

live and learn

-
Back