Learning a whole nother habit

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Now that my car has AC I have to have the idle rpm a little higher.
Problem is when I shut the engine off it tends to “run on” for a few cylinder fires, which I really don’t like because it’s hard on cam gears and such.
(Especially when the engine kicks backwards)
I realize there is idle solenoids to raise the idle only when the AC is on, but I don’t really want to add another clutter to the carb.

I run an automatic trans, so now I’m changing old habits and shutting the engine off while still in gear.
It kills the engine immediately, and doesn’t hurt anything, but putting it in park before shutting down is a hard habit to break.

I wonder if you left the a/c on and shut the car off while in park, that the drag from the compressor would prevent run on?

You may want to see if you can outfit your carburetor with an AC/Idle "Kick Up" solenoid wired to get power from the compressor clutch lead.

TB you need exactly what the facTORy used to use--an idle solenoid.................

I wonder if you left the a/c on and shut the car off while in park, that the drag from the compressor would prevent run on?

Tried that and it didn’t seem to make any difference.

You can try leaning out the idle mixture screws and or lowering the float level. Installing an idle solenoid would be the best bet here.

Maybe engineer up an idle solenoid with associated brackets and a cable to operate remotely on the throttle cable or throttle valve to transmission linkage. Similar to a cruise control but mount the solenoid behind the dashboard.

-
Back