Least Favorite thing to work on a car.

-
Changing plugs on my buddy's 440 Long Ram Dart with headers.

PA241353.jpg

As far as you guys having troubles spilling oil, tranny fluid or coolant here is a tip........

Steal a large garbage can lid, cut a 2 inch hole in the center and plastic weld a funnel onto the top side of it OR steal one with a handle that is open to the bottom of the lid and cut a hole in the handle.

Works great.

Trouble shooting wiring under the dash!!! I'm a pretty big guy so I have to dam near take a seat out to get under there and once I'm under there I can never reach my beer ... lol...
icon12.gif
That has to be the funniest thing I have heard in a long time! I laughed my *** off and wiped my eyes before I could post this quote! Good One.. Craig.

One of the most aggravating jobs yet for me was changing the clutch on my 98 tacoma... I know its not a dodge but it really gave me fits!!!!!! Oh and changing the oil on the same cramped up truck

I'm with Junior on the dash but it's third on the list behind sanding (I hate sanding, never seems to end) and taking of and on exhaust manifolds, expecially BB's in an A-body. Those back bolts are really hard for a fat man.

PA241353.jpg

UMMM, Yeah, that just doesnt look like fun, or doing the valve cover gaskets.

How do those perform anyway? Never talked to or seen a car anywhere with Long ram manifolds on it before. Are they heavy? It looks like there would be a bunch of vibration along there causing issues.

PA241353.jpg

As far as you guys having troubles spilling oil, tranny fluid or coolant here is a tip........

Steal a large garbage can lid, cut a 2 inch hole in the center and plastic weld a funnel onto the top side of it OR steal one with a handle that is open to the bottom of the lid and cut a hole in the handle.

Works great.

We should talk your buddy into running solid lifters!.....lol....:cheers:

Gotta be trans. pan gasket for me. I've replaced that thing five times in the past two years and it kept leaking until a couple months ago. Now I have to pull the pan to change the fluid/filter and adjust the bands 'cause it slips when upshifting.:thebirdm: What a freakin' waste of time! I want a manual transmission SOO BADLY...lol

I'm scared for body work though... my car is going to need to be repainted and some dents pulled eventually.:???:

Trouble shooting wiring under the dash!!! I'm a pretty big guy so I have to dam near take a seat out to get under there and once I'm under there I can never reach my beer ... lol...
icon12.gif

Haha I hate going under the dash too. So many cluttered wires and random dead ends.

Aligning doors and heaters cores...... Sounds like the beginning of a country western song.

Haha I hate going under the dash too. So many cluttered wires and random dead ends.

x2. Doesn't matter if it's a Duster, Ram, or a minivan. First, the body gets twisted up like a cat then the hands and wrists get all scratched up like you've been chasing bees in a rose bush.:lol:

273-360 A-Body header installation in a single car garage with no lift has to top my list.

Other than that, I really dislike lugging a 8.75 chunk under a A-body that is on 4 jack stands and dead lifting it laying on my back up and onto the 2 top mounting bolts....the whole time laying in/on/around a puddle of some NASTY smellin 75-95W hypoid gear oil.

I've always hated running brake lines. Twenty foot roll, flaring everything front to back. Seems like a job that never ends, no matter how much you focus on it.

Sometimes, though, it can depend on the car.

Thermostats on 4200 GMs. 2.7L and 3.2L Chryslers. Those are some winners.

Any Ford heater core (ask Brian, when he hired me at the Ford garage I refused to do them, even before I took the job.)

Replacing timing chain followers on 4.OL Ford OHCs. (three chains up front with the 4x's.)

Batteries on newer Chrysler products. Or the cramped up batteries on GMs.

Anymore, after working on anything newer, you won't see me complain about working on anything older. Even under dash work on a car from the 80s back, like M body, has a ton of room compared to the stupid cramped placed the fuse box is on the wife's Hyundai.

like alot of other people, dropping the trans pan and exhaust systems are misery for me. i never have much fun with wiring inside the dash either, breaking fragile plastic connectors trying to get my hand in behind some bracket to reach a wire. fun!

I've always hated running brake lines. Twenty foot roll, flaring everything front to back. Seems like a job that never ends, no matter how much you focus on it.

Sometimes, though, it can depend on the car.

Any Ford heater core (ask Brian, when he hired me at the Ford garage I refused to do them, even before I took the job.)

Replacing timing chain followers on 4.OL Ford OHCs. (three chains up front with the 4x's.)

Yeah Ford Heater cores, I had a 79 LTD (notice i said had) worst car ever, with AC. Heater core went out, i think thats the first thing they put in the car. I took everything out i could and still couldnt get to it. I said screw it.

How hard are the tensioners to do on the OHC 4.0.

I have to do mine, along with the lower intake gasket and coolant sensor when i am there. Them made a recall kit with a new check ball or something?

Yeah Ford Heater cores, I had a 79 LTD (notice i said had) worst car ever, with AC. Heater core went out, i think thats the first thing they put in the car. I took everything out i could and still couldnt get to it. I said screw it.

How hard are the tensioners to do on the OHC 4.0.

I have to do mine, along with the lower intake gasket and coolant sensor when i am there. Them made a recall kit with a new check ball or something?

Yup, updated recall kit. The fun part is keeping or getting everything back in time. Look around for a smokin' deal on the Ford cam tool. Got the front cam chain, the jackshaft chain, and the 4x balance shaft chain. And buy a new damper bolt. It's pretty much a one shot deal.

rp23g7,

How does it run?? Take a 413, throw these long rams (the 1st set of tuned induction manifolds) on and you end up with 495 #/ft of torque at 2800 rpm. Just what you need to move those big barges.
Throw those same manifolds on a 440 with a .509 cam in a Dart and the results are tremendous.

As for checking the valves or changing the valve cover gaskets, it is a piece of cake.. unhook the throttle cable, pull the coil wire and undo 8 bolts.
I can do it faster than somebody with a regular 4 bbl manifold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Xa3kbV1QE

rp23g7,

How does it run?? Take a 413, throw these long rams (the 1st set of tuned induction manifolds) on and you end up with 495 #/ft of torque at 2800 rpm. Just what you need to move those big barges.
Throw those same manifolds on a 440 with a .509 cam in a Dart and the results are tremendous.

As for checking the valves or changing the valve cover gaskets, it is a piece of cake.. unhook the throttle cable, pull the coil wire and undo 8 bolts.
I can do it faster than somebody with a regular 4 bbl manifold.

me-bows to the 300F. I have always wanted on of those.

Thats pretty impressive, spinning the tires on that big Chrysler. I can imagine what having that in a car that weighed half as much.

I used to hate changing the #7 spark plug on my 351C '68 Mustang. Mostly because I basically had to undo the mount and jack up the motor to get to it. And of course it was that cylinder that would foul the plug most frequently.

Now, with my Stealth, I hate trying to find anything when I open the hood:D

-
Back