LED bulbs

-

buddyralf

Reaction score
I was interested in making my instument panel a bit brighter. I have a 1970 Rallye Dash in my Dart, and I find it dark at night. I replaced the bulbs but it just isn't very bright. Has anyone used replacement LED bubs? If so what type, was it a multi bulb replacement?
Second question is what size bulb is in the instument panel of the Rallye dash, is it 194's for all of them? I don't remember how many there are to replace, does anyone know?
Take a look.
http://www.ledlight.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=6

I switched all the 194's for 168's. The 168 bulb is a few watts brighter. It made a noticeable difference.

The rallye panel has only 4 or 5 bulbs designated for illumination and those have blue tint difuser lenses. I solder a jumper on the headlight switch to get full power to those bulbs regardless of dimmer position. It helps.
I was told once that the number on a bulb is relative to candle power to some extent, meaning 192 is brighter than 168. Maybe the guy made that up or he was told wrong, dunno. Who can shed some light on that for us ? Pardon the pun LOL
To remove the lenses is not a plan. You'll have bulbs dropped inside the panel. Might bleech them clear (I haven't tryed).
White gauge faces are an alternative but they will yellow over time ,especially if you smoke in the car. Yesterdays engineers knew this, thus the OEM black faces.
Now about LEDs... I've noticed that if just 1 LED stands alone it might last for ever but when several are grouped together they die like flies. The LED strip on the back of some Cadilacs is a good example. Traffic lamps too.
I've decided standard type bulbs along with my jumper is as good as it gets.

I've read that a 194 is 2 candlepower and a 168 is 3 candlepower, but I have no idea which ones I have in my cluster, but I do know it's rather dim and I'll be checking it!

I was told once that the number on a bulb is relative to candle power to some extent, meaning 192 is brighter than 168. Maybe the guy made that up or he was told wrong, dunno. Who can shed some light on that for us ? Pardon the pun LOL

I don't believe there is any relation between the number and the output of the bulb. The 168 bulb has a higher wattage rating than a 194. I replaced my 194's with 168's and they are brighter, not a lot but noticable.

I don't believe there is any relation between the number and the output of the bulb. The 168 bulb has a higher wattage rating than a 194. I replaced my 194's with 168's and they are brighter, not a lot but noticable.
No rhyme of reason with the bulb numbering system. The 168 is brighter than the 194 which is brighter than the 158. The paper catalogue, usually posted near the bulb display, has the wattage listed of each element of each bulb number. AAP stocks 10 packs of these bulbs near their commercial counter. They're supposed to be for commercial customers, but a little "sweet talk" sometimes works wonders, and a 10 pack costs little more than a card with 2 bulbs on the shelf. AAP also has an LED replacement for the 194 bulb. Ask at the counter they're located no where near the regular bulbs.

-
Back