LED Drop Light

-

DusTed74

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new drop light and I want to get an LED one. But I do not want a rechargeable one. I want a basic 120 volt model with a cord.
Does anyone here know of a good brand/model?

Thanks..................Ted

I'm in the market for a new drop light and I want to get an LED one. But I do not want a rechargeable one. I want a basic 120 volt model with a cord.
Does anyone here know of a good brand/model?

Thanks..................Ted

Just curious why a cord and LED?
Is it the fragility of the others, like if you drop a "drop light"?

Snap on tools has several models. Most are recharge but a few, like number 922261 have a cord and 2000 lumens. Very BRIGHT but not the drop lamp type. It has a removable base more like an area work light. Check them out. They are available on Ebay. I use a rechargeable Snap on in my shop and love it. I left it stuck(magnet base) to the frame on a customers car and when I could not find it and remembered where I had it last, called him and he returned it. It was under there for 3 days. still worked perfectly and I'm glad it's back.

Grab a 6-pack of 100 watt replacement LED bulbs at Lowes for less than $10, and screw one into your traditional drop light. You can drop them and they keep on ticking. Also, they run cool, are super bright and last for years.

I had one. I ended up throwing it as far as I could.

Grab a 6-pack of 100 watt replacement LED bulbs at Lowes for less than $10, and screw one into your traditional drop light. You can drop them and they keep on ticking. Also, they run cool, are super bright and last for years.

"For now" that is exactly what I did. I scored a traditional old trouble light with a METAL cage in nice shape at the thrift store for a few bucks. Screwed in an LED bulb. "In theory" it should be more rugged, and certainly cooler, the two top complaints of older lights.

I "neither" want anything to do with rechargeables.

I "neither" want anything to do with rechargeables.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY! I'm just really tired of batteries going dead or going obsolete or having to be rebuilt.
I totally understand the convenience factor for someone who does this 40 hours a week. This is just for me in my garage. My ancient fluorescent tube light has served me well but I need/want something brighter. These eyes aint what they used to be.
I wish I had a really old style drop light so I could just go get some of those LED bulbs.

Ted

EXACTLY! I'm just really tired of batteries going dead or going obsolete or having to be rebuilt.
I totally understand the convenience factor for someone who does this 40 hours a week. This is just for me in my garage. My ancient fluorescent tube light has served me well but I need/want something brighter. These eyes aint what they used to be.
I wish I had a really old style drop light so I could just go get some of those LED bulbs.

Ted[/QUOTE]

That I can certainly relate to. :D

I find LEDs very bright to look at, but the don't seem to have any penetrating power into dark holes. Incandescents seem to be the best at that, so Ima sticking to them for a few more years.

I find LEDs very bright to look at, but the don't seem to have any penetrating power into dark holes. Incandescents seem to be the best at that, so Ima sticking to them for a few more years.

Just remember not to use your incandescent drop light around gas tanks/gasoline/fumes. You wouldn't be the first person to blow themselves up with an incandescent drop light.

The LED bulb in the old school drop light is a great idea, and would pretty much solve the flammability issue with an incandescent.

Ted[/QUOTE]

harbor freight has them and amazon too
http://www.harborfreight.com/drop-light-3489.html

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A7EPRHA/?tag=joeychgo-20

Im not home to look but have a drop light led head

Bought it at the indy cylinder headswap meet, think it was $45 for the light head.

Just removed the light head off my drop light and put it on.

It works real well, not hot, lots of light. Has a magnet on the back and a hook top.

You know what I have found nearly invaluable, is a LED headlight. The kind that you strap onto your head. Either rechargeable or alkaline. Again, it doesn't have much penetration power, but it casts a lot of light, exactly where I need it. Then a small Mag-lite in my teeth really gets to the bottom of the hole. I used to wear my lite all day long. Just like safety-glasses.

............. LED headlight. The kind that you strap onto your head. ........... Then a small Mag-lite in my teeth.

In my younger years I was an avid user of mini-mags, used up several of them. Back then, someone used to market a cheap but effective "accessory" simply an elastic band you put around your head, with a small loop for the mini-mag to slip into. You could rotate it, etc, and it was cheap and fast.

"For now" that is exactly what I did. I scored a traditional old trouble light with a METAL cage in nice shape at the thrift store for a few bucks. Screwed in an LED bulb. "In theory" it should be more rugged, and certainly cooler, the two top complaints of older lights.

Del goddamnit,there goes that experience/common sense thing again. Don't let it spread,America maybe would get a little smarter.. ( Can't have that....)

Ugh. I can't stand battery powered hand tools. My first preference is air powered, or electricity from the wall outlets.

I like the idea of throwing a LED bulb in the droplight. My only battery powered tool is my LED flashlight.

My watch doesn't even have batteries! Self winding analog.

And don't even get me started on those battery powered "green" cars.

not two days ago I purchased an LED drop light "retro fit" You use the base of your old drop light, pop off the bird cage, screw the LED on. No heat, incredible output, hook, and magnet. I'd def buy it again. Picked it up at Lowe's for $20. It's right up there with my wall mounted retractable extension cord as far as satisfaction goes.

not two days ago I purchased an LED drop light "retro fit" You use the base of your old drop light, pop off the bird cage, screw the LED on. No heat, incredible output, hook, and magnet. I'd def buy it again. Picked it up at Lowe's for $20. It's right up there with my wall mounted retractable extension cord as far as satisfaction goes.

don`t buy a craftsman, it`ll turn into strobe light !--junk !

Get a corn cob style led bulb and It works great! Been abusing one for a few years now.

I don't like the light the corn cob multi-led bulbs put out. It makes it harder for me to see detail than a very bright single LED bulb, especially for reading. I think it's the "shadowing" the various angles of light output each bulb adds to the mix.

The best modern, solid light source I've found so far are the reasonably cheap LED replacement bulbs that are shaped like a conventional bulb. They are tough too.

I got a head light type spot light for Christmas last year. You know, the type you strap to the top of your head. It SUPER bright and lasts for a couple of days of non-stop use. It uses 4 small batteries. If you do mechanics for a living it might not be the best for you but if you're a back yard mechanic it works really nice under the dash and in the engine compartment.. Working under the car is also a good place for the head light. Your hands are always free and the light shines in which ever direction you turn your head. It swivels and adjusts up and down as well. I love it!! It won't drop and break either. I wish I had bought one 20 years ago but they didn't have the technology back then!!
If you've ever tried to work under a crowded dash while trying to stuff a drop light up under there you'll really appreciate the head light!!

Treblig

I have a Matco fluorescent drop light that works great and has lasted me for years but the good old fashioned metal caged drop lights will do the job.I have a back up caged drop light for home use and works great.I had a rechargable LED one but tossed it after the battery wore out.

I have a Matco fluorescent drop light that works great and has lasted me for years but the good old fashioned metal caged drop lights will do the job.I have a back up caged drop light for home use and works great.I had a rechargable LED one but tossed it after the battery wore out.

Had the best luck with fluorescent lights,hate dropping it & having to buy new bulbs... Never had the vision /lighting span, ( width wise, not life wise..)like the older caged stuff.

-
Back