LED for work shop

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any recent posts. Anyone buy or replace their LEDs lately? I'm mainly looking for linear but, saw some UFO style at HD. I've also searched the garage journal. The shop is 18x20 and the lights are going down the 12ft peak in the center. The ceiling is 7/12 pitch. Any suggestions? Also, is 9000 lumens going to be blinding at that height?

9D5CA359-9E6E-41FA-8D7C-B2F98AAE3ABE.jpeg

Just had my first one go bad after 4 years. Barrina brand on Amazon, for $19 a light, 8 footers you can’t go wrong. Way more cost effective than florescent in my opinion. Thats a $100 plus florescent light they replaced. I tossed over 30 florescent lights cause 1/2 the ballasts were bad. Ballasts were over $50 a piece at that time.

Those are 9000 lumen lights up just over 10 feet by the way. With your building, your better off with 2 rows of them with a reflector or reflective ceiling.

2721DEB2-1509-42CD-81D2-E4925F23F462.jpeg
With reflectors hanging down about 7 inches. I got these off the old florescent lights. They are easy to find if you look for them on garbage day. Also led’s are bright right away in cold temperatures. I have cold weather florescent in my other hobby shop and it takes a while for them to heat up and get bright. Those lights are getting pricey.

How tall is your ceiling? I have 14' ceilings and installed the UFO style lights meant for a warehouse. They sell different UFO lights based on the hight of the ceiling as they will "tune" the light pattern some. The ones I have are "600w equivalent" and I used 4 in the shop side and 6 to cover the garage area in my 35x80 shop.

Those are 9000 lumen lights up just over 10 feet by the way. With your building, your better off with 2 rows of them with a reflector or reflective ceiling.
Yes. I'm looking at the ones with the reflectors.
View attachment 1716127281
With reflectors hanging down about 7 inches. I got these off the old florescent lights. They are easy to find if you look for them on garbage day. Also led’s are bright right away in cold temperatures. I have cold weather florescent in my other hobby shop and it takes a while for them to heat up and get bright. Those lights are getting pricey.
Any shadows?
How tall is your ceiling? I have 14' ceilings and installed the UFO style lights meant for a warehouse. They sell different UFO lights based on the hight of the ceiling as they will "tune" the light pattern some. The ones I have are "600w equivalent" and I used 4 in the shop side and 6 to cover the garage area in my 35x80 shop.
12ft at peak. Ceiling will be tongue and groove, so I'm trying to make it the eye catcher.

As you can see the ones with reflectors cast shadows on the ceiling, ones without do not.

I ran new LEDs throughout my garage this winter . Got them off Amazon for a very reasonable price.

When I relit my shop with LED's, I went for 75 lumens/ft2 for a 25' x 40' workspace. It's bright but not blinding.

Shop Air.JPG

-
Back