LED lights, in my home. Thinking about converting everything

-
Check Amazon before you spend $25/bulb.

Warm light

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-EVER-Performance-Incandescent-Replacement/dp/B008OBEDSM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1384315955&sr=8-3&keywords=led+light+bulb+warm"]Amazon.com: Lighting EVER 7W A19 LED Bulb, High Performance Samsung LED, Warm White, 60W Incandescent Bulb Replacement: Home Improvement[/ame]

Daylight white

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-EVER-Daylight-Incandescent-Replacement/dp/B008OBEECC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384315890&sr=8-1&keywords=led+light+bulb"]Amazon.com: Lighting EVER 7W A19 LED Bulb, Samsung Chip LED, Daylight White, 60W Incandescent Bulb Replacement: Home Improvement[/ame]

I hate them. The tree huggers still haven't come up with anything that is "better" than Thomas Edison's light bulb, though if you listen to them tell it, CFL's and LED are "wonderful", "Save the planet", "are more efficient", and will keep your teeth from rotting and your spine from curving.
I'm not convinced.
Get off my back, out of my wallet, and out of my house.

I believe there's a lot of variability with LEDs as well. Most don't come close to advertised lifespan. Take that into account when calculating the cost. One failed bulb adds a lot to your payback time.

I like them for flashlights due to battery life but it seems the cheap ones don't last.

I always thought light bulbs use very little energy compared to other things in the house....Don't you save a lot more money by watching your usage of heat-producing appliances like electric furnaces, water heaters...and unplugging anything with a display screen when you're not using it....cable boxes etc?

I always thought light bulbs use very little energy

I don't 'have teenagers' but they do add up. After all 10 100w bulbs is 1KW, about what a bathroom heater draws, and a sizable part of what say, a dryer uses

One thing that just absolutely pisses me off is the sloppy, poor design of most of today's electronics. Most this crap actually runs the power supply or at least a fair draw all the time. Now I understand, that if you are gonna have remotes, etc, you have to have a certain activity. But some of this stuff draws 20-40-50 watts on standby, a sizable load when it's 24 hrs a day, and multiplied by all the others of the same ilk.

-
Back