LED lights

-

rjones

Reaction score
I just inherited my fathers 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger, and I am restoring it, is there a website on the Internet that can convert the taillights and side marker lights to LED and also if there is a website for a digital dash conversion for my 72, thanks for helping me out on this one

try cool-leds.com ask for todd

resized  75% smaller.jpg

I'm not a big fan of digital dashes, but I'm not a big fan of getting rear-ended either, so LED tails are a very good thing, good luck!

LED tails are not necessarily a "very good thing". It depends on whether they perform adequately, and many of them do not. To make a safe, good-performing LED lamp for an older vehicle application is not an impossible task by any means, but it is not a simple or trivial one. There are critical safety performance issues involved with a car's brake/tail/turn lights; they need to work in specific ways to do their job effectively and keep you safe on the road. Just looking at a homemade or aftermarket brake light and saying "Yup, looks nice and bright" isn't good enough. Before you spend much money or time on this, see here and here and (more technical stuff) here. You might also want to look here. See also here and here.

Dan, you're a killjoy! :bootysha:

Thanks for all the great info. I guess LED tail lights have been crossed off my plan...

LED tails are not necessarily a "very good thing". It depends on whether they perform adequately, and many of them do not. To make a safe, good-performing LED lamp for an older vehicle application is not an impossible task by any means, but it is not a simple or trivial one. There are critical safety performance issues involved with a car's brake/tail/turn lights; they need to work in specific ways to do their job effectively and keep you safe on the road. Just looking at a homemade or aftermarket brake light and saying "Yup, looks nice and bright" isn't good enough. Before you spend much money or time on this, see here and here and (more technical stuff) here. You might also want to look here. See also here and here.

I was wondering when you would show up :read2::-D

All things considered, if I were going to choose between new LED tail lights and new OEM tail lights, I'd do what it takes to make the LEDs work. I stand by my earlier statement "LED tails are a very good thing".

Slantsixdan did bring up a good point, you can't just slap some Autozone LEDs into your housings and expect them to work, especially if you have combo turn/tail or turn/brake.
I don't think that's what rjones or fstfish66 had in mind. I say go for it, if you are not happy with the results you can always go back to stock.

mine work great,,,and nice and brite no complaints on my end,,,,the company that did mine build complete units for the street rod industry,,,

-
Back