LED turn signals

-

tekslk

Reaction score
I replaced my front and rear light bulbs with ebay led lights, This is on a 67 barracuda, my front parking lights are amber, look nice and flash great, Untill you turn lights on then nothing but a well lit light could it be a sincle element led or something like that.

Install an electronic flasher, this should take care of your problem. available at any parts store

Install an electronic flasher, this should take care of your problem. available at any parts store

^^^^
What he said!

and some electronic flashers are better than others..its a current draw issue...aka amperes thats why the factory relay won't work.

aloha mike

Take the "LED bulbs" out and put the correct bulbs back in. LEDs are terrific when designed into car lights from the start, but the "LED bulbs" do not work safely or effectively -- no matter what flasher you use. They don't throw the right amounts of light through the range of view angles necessary for other drivers (at all possible positions relative to your car in traffic) to see and "get" the signals' message quickly and correctly.

My headlights are H4 with directionals mounted inside them..

…which are likewise unsafe and illegal. :-( The "illegal" part is a technicality. Whether or not you get a ticket, the "unsafe" part translates directly to a substantially higher likelihood of twisted metal and hurt or dead people.

Listen to slantsixdan, he is the undisputed lighting expert. Think about it from this standpoint. Car is coming towards you with headlights on, their headlight kinda sorta starts blinking amber along with the H4 bulb that is already pumping out 55+ watts worth of light. Do you really believe that there is going to be enough visible difference to tell that the turn signal is on?

For years car magazines have been saying NO to led replacement bulbs why do people keep trying them. I think we need a sticky on this page for things that you should not do to your cars electrical system especially lighting.

Listen to slantsixdan, he is the undisputed lighting expert. Think about it from this standpoint. Car is coming towards you with headlights on, their headlight kinda sorta starts blinking amber along with the H4 bulb that is already pumping out 55+ watts worth of light. Do you really believe that there is going to be enough visible difference to tell that the turn signal is on?

For years car magazines have been saying NO to led replacement bulbs why do people keep trying them. I think we need a sticky on this page for things that you should not do to your cars electrical system especially lighting.

Why not just just put up a sticky to refer people to the Daniel Stern Lighting website. I don't think he would mind, and the in depth material presented there should be considered a must read for anyone wanting to up grade their lighting.

I use ebay turn signal lamps in most of my cars, especially where the bulbs are hard to change. They work fine, in my opinion. They are supposed to last much longer, so less time with no burned out bulbs seems safer to me. At least I religiously use my turn signals for every lane change, which is more than one can say for 50% of the drivers. Those drivers ignore turn signals anyway, seeming to have no clue what the blinking lights of other drivers mean. Speaking of headlights, if we could just get those idiots to turn on their lights in the rain, that would be a big safety improvement. Despite the 2 yr old law in CA, I noticed half the drivers on I-80 had their lights off last weekend and it was raining hard.

On all of these threads I have seen, Dan pops in and presents his FACTS and knowledge, usually only to be ignored by the masses. Quite frankly, I don't have the patience for the general public that Dan does. Dan, thank you for your contributions.
To the OP, sorry to hijack your thread, but Dan REALLY does know what he is talking about. We consult a lot of people on this board when it comes to building engines, and we listen to what they have to say, but consistently Dan's advice goes largely ignored.:banghead:

That's my .02

…which are likewise unsafe and illegal. :-( The "illegal" part is a technicality. Whether or not you get a ticket, the "unsafe" part translates directly to a substantially higher likelihood of twisted metal and hurt or dead people.

I run H4 in a Hella conversion. They are absolutely illegal, but I would argue the unsafe part. I can see so much better now. It is a brighter, whiter light, and I drive at night a lot. I needed to run a Daniel Stern relay system to keep them playing well with my OE headlight switch, though.

i have a HID conversion with relays and the whole 9 yards that someone butchered up my headlight harness with that was on the car when i bought it. they are very nice at night and the brights are outstanding. i would convert it back but im too lazy.

I think at this point Dan would point out that the bright lights cause glare to oncoming traffic and that is why the HID conversions are inherently flawed. I could be wrong about that being his answer. The allpar story on his replacement lights show how clean the horizontal cutoff is on a well designed/made headlight.

I'll bet he gets tired of seeing LED posts.:banghead: :D

On all of these threads I have seen, Dan pops in and presents his FACTS and knowledge, usually only to be ignored by the masses. Quite frankly, I don't have the patience for the general public that Dan does. Dan, thank you for your contributions.
To the OP, sorry to hijack your thread, but Dan REALLY does know what he is talking about. We consult a lot of people on this board when it comes to building engines, and we listen to what they have to say, but consistently Dan's advice goes largely ignored.:banghead:

That's my .02

Rock n roll doesn't blind you and then leave you guessing what the lighting is doing.

My Buick LeSabre runs 55w low beams and 65w high beams and has from the factory. My Hella conversions run 55w low beams and I opted for 90w high beams. The cut of glass is better for patterning the light so you can see better. If they are aimed well, and mine are, you would have no idea I had anything different in my car if you were driving towards me at night.

-
Back