Left hand wheel studs

-

69swinger340391

Reaction score
Does anyone have or know where I can get 5 Left hand studs for the 10" front drums on my 69 Dart? The closest I've found are the studs for the 9" drums from Year One, but they are a different size.

Thanks

NAPA should be able to get them. Iwould just knock them out and put right hand studs all the way around.

Unless it's a judged restoration, look for 10 RH studs. I watched an ASE certified technician bust all 5 LH studs on the front wheel of one of my trucks once. I barely made it out into the service bay before he busted the other 5 on the rear. It took me 15 minutes to convince the service manager that the "L" on the stud meant left hand thread, including my removal of one nut using a 1/2" hand ratchet turning clockwise. I ultimately sued and was awarded the cost of 5 lugs and the shop fee for pressing them in. I got nothing for the damage to the tapers in my original Kelsey-Hayes rims (how many Willys Jeeps pickups have you seen with nice original rims?)

So if you don't mount your own tires, convert to RH. Sad but true, most tire shop techs aren't as smart as a LH stud.

jaws said:
NAPA should be able to get them. Iwould just knock them out and put right hand studs all the way around.
Word of caution, these studs cannot be driven out if this is a oem drum. The stud is swedged to drum. There was a special cutter made to chuck into a drill. It was hollow, so it could slip over the stud & cut the swedge away. I have seem guys destoy a drum trying to knock out the studs. There were two sizes, one for 7/16 studs & one for 1/2 studs. I used to have both of these, but i think all I have left is the 7/16 size.

If you back the hub and/or drum properly, no problem. If you just start beating on stuff, bent flanges are in your future. Pressing studs correctly ain't that hard, if your neighborhood machine shop can't do this, please help them go out of business.

I tried NAPA, they could not get them. I still have the left hand threads on the rear, and I do all my own work, so no one is going to break them.

69swinger340391 said:
Does anyone have or know where I can get 5 Left hand studs for the 10" front drums on my 69 Dart? The closest I've found are the studs for the 9" drums from Year One, but they are a different size.

Thanks
i have some. are you still looking?

mikedevore said:
Word of caution, these studs cannot be driven out if this is a oem drum. The stud is swedged to drum. There was a special cutter made to chuck into a drill. It was hollow, so it could slip over the stud & cut the swedge away. I have seem guys destoy a drum trying to knock out the studs. There were two sizes, one for 7/16 studs & one for 1/2 studs. I used to have both of these, but i think all I have left is the 7/16 size.

Just grind the head off the back and drive them out towards the front, no need to purcahse a tool.

FWIW, you can get the left had stus from Year One but you can get the rught had ones from Pep Boys nut an bolt rack for less than a buck each.

Yes, I'm still looking. Are you sure that these are for 10" front drums, not the 9" drums. The studs for 10" drums have a larger diameter on the knurled part.

I needed one for my 10" front drums on my Barracuda and had to buy a box of 10. I had 9 left. I think I sent some away already but I might still have some left, I'll have to check and get back to you. Actually, I have the drums still in a box (switched to KH disc brakes) and they're all on there.

I thought I would just resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one. I`m in need of ONE 7/16 -20 left hand stud for use on the front left of my 68 Dart w/10" drum brakes. I`ve been able to find studs locally for disc brakes only. Thanks- John

Good luck trying to find left-handers........... I went through this about two or three months ago (although I was looking for 9" drum studs). Anyway, I found two or three websites that listed left-handers, but didn't actually have them in stock - and I was told (by customers service reps over the phone) that they were no longer available.

I'm guessing it's the same story with studs for the 10" drums.

Just found the left hand studs for the front 10" drums.

If anyone needs left handers, email this guy. He should be able to help you

[email protected]

I found them at a local auto store in Hampton, Va. that is the oldest, family owned ,continually operating, auto store in the U.S..They`re called Hop`s Place and have been operating since 1923. They`re a great place to go for the vintage stuff. They had the Dorman replacements in stock.

I pulled them through with an impact wrench and haven`t had any problems with them. I might add that it was with a new brake drum.

I need one left hand stud for the rear of my 69 Dart. I went to Napa and they didn't have any. Anyone have any ideas where I might find one?

Thanks,
George

I need one left hand stud for the rear of my 69 Dart. I went to Napa and they didn't have any. Anyone have any ideas where I might find one?

Thanks,
George

I`ve got one of those too George and if I can get it together I`ll send it to you with the lighter.

-
Back