Left Parking Light Stays on

-

stoney79

Reaction score
1969 Barracuda with /6. When I turn the key on, the left side parking light comes on and stays on when I start the car. I've disconnected the headlight switch, the steering column harness, replaced light bulbs and it still stays on. Also when I turn my left blinker on, the light gets brighter and the rear light comes on but neither blink. Help!!!

You have a ground issue. I would start with the parking lights. I found on my 69 that I had to run a new , and separate ground wire to the body to ground the lights. I soldered a wire to each of the bulb sockets on the outside, and grounded them to the frame.They are not visible. It fixed my blinker/parking/tail light issue. I think the park light housings ground is through the mounting bolts, these contact points get corroded/dirty over time.

I do believe you have a ground issue. You just have to get on it, and play around with things to find it. Make sure your bulbs are all correct, and use di-electric grease on the bases of the bulbs.

Dave

It could be a poor ground at the socket or the bulb base to the socket (less likely but happens).
However the fact it is on when the switch is off makes me suspicious.

You can do some checks so you're not throwing darts blindly.

Check hazard flasher operation.
Check what happens when the turn signal is actuated
Check what happens when the parking light switch is turned on.

Parking lights are only supposed to get power through the headlight switch.
^ They can get power through the turn signal circuit when the ground fails as the parking light filament is the next shortest path to ground.

Turn signal only gets power when the key is turned to run or accessory.
It is not fused in '69, but the flasher unit will act like a breaker.

Hazards work as they should
When I turn the blinkers on, the front stays on, the rear comes on, but neither blink. They're just solid.
When i turn just the parking lights on, the left side stays on and the right side comes on.

Make sure you have the correct bulb, too.

When I turn the blinkers on, the front stays on, the rear comes on, but neither blink. They're just solid.
How about the instrument panel indicators? Do they turn on with the correct sides?

You have a ground issue. I would start with the parking lights. I found on my 69 that I had to run a new , and separate ground wire to the body to ground the lights. I soldered a wire to each of the bulb sockets on the outside, and grounded them to the frame.They are not visible. It fixed my blinker/parking/tail light issue. I think the park light housings ground is through the mounting bolts, these contact points get corroded/dirty over time.

I do believe you have a ground issue. You just have to get on it, and play around with things to find it. Make sure your bulbs are all correct, and use di-electric grease on the bases of the bulbs.

Dave
Thanks I'll check it on Friday. Next day off from work.

The fact that lamp turns on when the key is in run (and start???) makes me think its somehting other than a ground problem.
More so if this still occurred with the headlight switch connector removed from the switch.

Put the key in accessory position and see if it still occurs.
With key in accessory, that eliminates the ignition feeds (J2, J3) as possible sources of power. So if it still turns on with the key in accessory, then its drawing power from the switched accessory circuits.

Also if we look at the wiring diagram (linked earlier), if there is power in L6A, both front lamps should light.
1716174664519.png

Somehow the wires are crossed so power is getting in one but not the other.

-
Back