left pull at slight brake pressure

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK brake gurus, try this one:
1970 dart. stock 4 wheel drums, V8 car (10 inch drums)
all brakes and hardware appear to be in fine shape, mostly new (3,000 miles)

when rolling at low speed (driveway, parking lot) and I barely hit the pedal the car pulls lightly to the left, just enough to drive me crazy. I have taken them apart 3 times, bled the brakes thoroughly, adjusted the shoes twice and none of this seems to make any difference. When you are braking hard it doesn't seem to pull at all.

HELP!!!

Well obviously both sides are working. The right has a delay.Since it stops straight under heavier apps, the mechanics are all good.
So the delay could be,in order of probability; A)Adjustment, B)Sticky wheel cylinder piston, C)Shoes sticking on the bearing pads, D)Bad hose, E)shoes reversed,F)a belled drum, G) Shoes different from other side or not yet broken in, H)a loose wheel bearing, J)mismatched tires,
more to come as I think of them.....
On a different note;
Also,be sure the rears are properly adjusted, as they can contribute to a long-travel pedal.

How long since the brake job? Were the drums turned, and miked, and if so, how far oversize are they?

Alignment? ? ? ?

I assume but should mention, "you checked" tire pressure.

Im thinking loose front end components. Strut rod bushing maybe. MT

Could be normal. In my experiences with drums, they are never perfect. They are like carburetors. They change from one minute to the next.

Could be normal. In my experiences with drums, they are never perfect. They are like carburetors. They change from one minute to the next.

X2 on that.

(Edelbrock carbs don't change from one minute to the next ):D
Holley's do that.

I donnnoooo. I'm probably as old as anyone here, 67 "in a few days" LOL. I've had MANY drum "rigs" that stopped straight and true, IF you were on a good road, tires, etc. "When I started" at Lennox here in town in the late 80's / early 90's one of the service rigs which I got "for awile" was an ugly old beater of about a 69 1T Ford Econoline. UGG --LEE. All drum. But it stopped ok, and the steering wasn't all that great, either.

Yeh. sorta like this.......

Ford+Econoline+300+Super+Van4.jpg

I donnnoooo. I'm probably as old as anyone here, 67 "in a few days" LOL. I've had MANY drum "rigs" that stopped straight and true, IF you were on a good road, tires, etc. "When I started" at Lennox here in town in the late 80's / early 90's one of the service rigs which I got "for awile" was an ugly old beater of about a 69 1T Ford Econoline. UGG --LEE. All drum. But it stopped ok, and the steering wasn't all that great, either.

Yeh. sorta like this.......

Ford+Econoline+300+Super+Van4.jpg

I had an E300 once. 74 I think it was. Get this.......P/S, P/DB, A/C, 351W four barrel. All factory. But it was one WORE OUT van. Name it and it needed it. Engine and trans built, they leaked from everywhere. Brakes built. They leaked from everywhere. Rear end gone through. It leaked from everywhere. Front end rebuilt. It was a death trap to drive. But I tell you, I bet it was one NICE van when it was new.

So the front brakes were done with an entire front end rebuild about 3000 miles ago (all new parts), car aligned then.

tire pressure the same on same tires, bought at same time.

If it was an alignment problem, wouldn't the car pull or at least wander in that direction without the brakes applied? Mine tracks straight on the highway.

I like the sticky wheel cylinder idea. If it caught a bit on the right when applying the brakes, the left brake would apply just a bit faster...

Since it is pulling with so little pressure, it doesn't seem the back brakes, which are in good shape, but not new like the fronts, would be the culprit. Does that ring true?

Thanks for all the ideas! This really is driving me nuts!

front end rebuild ? what parts brand did you use. I used pst stuff in a 72 duster when they 1st came out and the strut rods bushings were shot within 30 miles. Check your lower control arm bushings. If they were installed wrong they could have been ruined before it went 10 feet

I have same issue right now, but my driver lower control arm bushing is shot. Doing front end this weekend let you know if it fixes it. Did you do lower bushings?

So the front brakes were done with an entire front end rebuild about 3000 miles ago (all new parts), car aligned then.

tire pressure the same on same tires, bought at same time.

If it was an alignment problem, wouldn't the car pull or at least wander in that direction without the brakes applied? Mine tracks straight on the highway.

I like the sticky wheel cylinder idea. If it caught a bit on the right when applying the brakes, the left brake would apply just a bit faster...

Since it is pulling with so little pressure, it doesn't seem the back brakes, which are in good shape, but not new like the fronts, would be the culprit. Does that ring true?

Thanks for all the ideas! This really is driving me nuts!

This sounds like something to check out. Have the hoses been replaced, and maybe the lines blown out or replaced.

-
Back