Legendary interiors install question

-

jlstepp

Reaction score
Has anyone put the covers on themselves or is it a better idea to ship them my seats and let them do it? Thanks for your input. John

bench seats are easy enough to do yourself. The skins will include some instructions. Bucket seats are a bit more complicated. I'd say have a local trim shop install bucket skins rather than do yourself or shipping off to anywhere.

I've installed a few. Take your time. When you stretch the covers over the foam pull firmly but steadily, no jerky pulls. If a part seems too tight pause, re-think then try again. You don't want to rip that nice new upholstery! An extra set of hands is helpful to hold and push but you shouldn't have any trouble installing them yourself.

I'm waiting on my set of covers, also from Legendary. I will
do them myself. I've done alot of covers on new cars. It's a
simple job if you take your time. Keep them warm. room temp.
If they get cold they are hard to pull over the foam.
I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago. They won't be shipped till
the middle of march.14-15th. Do they make each set as people
order them?

Most are made to order from what I was told. Seat covers on new cars is a different animal given their snap together channels and such. Hog rings can hurt you. Wear safety glasses when cutting them out. Don't buy the oversized rings just because they are cheaper and dont over squeeze any size hog ring or you'll have the points sticking out everywhere. Then they will attack like barbed wire when you vacuum under the seat.
Row impleted covers like my 67s need to be centered a straight. To have the cover a little bias left on the back and a little bias right on the seat will look aweful where the 2 parts meet.
I aint saying you can't do it yourself but I am saying it aint easy evn with experience. Bucket seats have little rods in them that help create their contour. To make a small loop on one end for hog ring that will anchor the rod so it dont travel lengthwiseis a good plan but you'll need a torch to make that loop. Bend without heat and it will break.
One more thing I should mention is the studs on the tracks. Factory assembly guys had to remove rubber covers from those studs (I have found those in cars before). They can damage door panels, your legs or most anything they contact. I use pvc pipe fittings held with nylon wire ties to cover those studs until the seats are resting just beside the floor holes.
If I think of something else that might be of help I'll type it.
Good luck :)

I`ve done several sets and they`re not that bad. Cover your foam with a thin Muslin and the covers will slide over the foam much easier. If you don`t feel up to it then an upholstery shop will probably do the job for a nominal fee since they don`t have to make up the covers.

John,
If you need any help once you get into the install, please feel free to call and speak to one of our techs who can help you through it. Thanks for your business. Eric @ Legendary Auto Interiors, Ltd.

I am also having trouble with my legendary seat covers on a 67 Barracuda. The foam was not good enough to reuse so I ordered new foam. The FSB foam and covers worked just fine. However when I attempted to do the FST (front seat tops) the foam made the cover bulge and look very pregent. The foam instructions said it may need modifications, but it just seems to thick! I cut the channels in ok, but the piItes in the seat back are a little too loose with the original foam and too tight with the new foam. I already cut the the channels in the foam am wondering if the foam needs to be shaved or something. It also said not to glue the seat cover to the foam so I can not use the original seat back foam. ( too loose) I what to use the new foam as to the fact that I bought it already. I have not made an attempt at the one remaining seat back. Can any one please advise. Thanks Caxey1

Tight is good. The foam is gonna give away some during the first few months of use. I wouldn't compare new foam thickness to 4o year old foam thickness anyway.
Also, While the seat sections are apart and the back cover is mising they might seem odd shaped. The finished seat should look fine for a long time to come. Only real problem I've had was getting the cover down far enough at the top back to underlap the back panel and not show the binding in those corners.
One more thing... instructions dont tell you how to cut the hole for the hindge bolt. Peck at it with a ball pien hammer until the bolt hole cuts hole through the cover. Produces a nice round hole that is less likely to sprout.
New wear washers there are a good investment too.

I did my front and rear bench. I found it easier to turn it inside out and put the covers in the dryer for a few seconds, it softens the vinyl making it easier to work. OR if it's a very warm/sunny day, you can do it outside.

I did my front and rear bench. I found it easier to turn it inside out and put the covers in the dryer for a few seconds, it softens the vinyl making it easier to work. OR if it's a very warm/sunny day, you can do it outside.
Again i must say comparing bench covers to buckets is like apples to oranges. Big difference !
Your post reminds me of my teens. Took mom sofa cushions apart and ran them through wash and dry. They shrank/shrunk ! Never fit or looked right again.
Learned the zippers on the covers were not meant for this purpose.:axe:

-
Back