Legendary or Year One car seat resto

-

Kenflo

Reaction score
Has any one had any experience with Year One or Legendary car seat cover restoration? I would like to try the install myself. I phoned around town here and the shops are telling me $1800-$2000 to do the job which would include seat covers and new foam. I thought that sounded pretty high!(low budget minded) Any way, are the covers hard to install, and how are the fit and finish? The guy at one shop told me that they are garbage and he would never buy them.

I bought Legondary covers. Been almost 4 years. Still look new. The skin for the rear seat bottom was a booger to install, tight as a banjo string. Ther supposed to fit tight but sheesh.Anyway...
It's a lot of labor if it's done right. You can throw them on in a day if you dont care about crocked lines and wrinkles.

I've done it both ways. Absolutely agree with Redfish's comments.

If the seat springs and foam are in good shape, it's easier to get a good looking install. If not, a professional shop is worth while. I've bought Legendary products and found shops that will rebuild the springs, replace the foam, and install the cover on my seats. IME, price has varied from $250 for a regular bench rear seat to $400 for a split bench front seat with a pull down armrest.

The last interior I did, I farmed out the front seat to a pro and did the rear seat at home. FWIW, foam blocks for a rear seat aren't exactly cheap. IIRC, the foam ran about $60. However, I put nearly 4X the thickness that Mopar had on it. Putting the cover on was akin to wrestling a greased pig. The result? Very much worth the effort. I got a plush, but very supportive rear bench.

I think for the price of new covers from legenday compared to taking it to the shop, i'll try it myself. I think that the guys at some shops just try to scare people into bringing their stuff to them so they can make money. Their not really into giving any "free" advice. Im gonna order my covers this week. Any body that has any good tips for the install? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I am in the same boat as you....been trying to find the best price on a set of Black Vinyl Bucket seat covers and a matching one for the rear bench in my Duster.

It seems all the small shops and even the Bigger Names get their seat covers from Legendary Auto and adjust their markup into the price.

I am probably going to just purchase straight from Legendary.

The disassembly, removal, and installation can't be any worse than a 2009 F350 King Ranch with Heated and Cooled power Leather seats.......and I do those enough to say I have been around the block a time or two.

Your gonna need a good set of Hog Ring Pliers, and a BOX of Hog Rings.
Work slowly and carefully not to get the covers hung up on anything on the frame that could poke through causing damage when your fitting.
Center the cover and put a hog ring in the middles of each side of the cover....then slowly work your way around.

I will be doing this soon, as well, maybe I will write up a Pictorial...Maybe I wont. :munky2:

Upholstery shops charge up front for their experience in dealing with problems under the skins. 40 year old seats contain all sorts of surprises not found in new seats. Cracked frames, broken springs, rotten batting and other materials.

I have done 10 or so sets.
As with most old car things... PREP is the key.
As Prine said "Good Hog Ring pliers and a BOX of Hog Rings"!

Pay attention to how your covers were Hog Ringed onto the frames.
After you get your old covers off you will need to fix any broken springs and you will most likely have some. I bought the large seat spring clips offa ebay ($10.00 for 25).
NOTE: I cannot find a listing for them on ebay right now but I emailed the seller to see if they still sell them.
You will do good to grab a spare seat for parts.
Get some good high density foam for recovering the springs.
I sandwich the foam between a packing blanket too on the base.
Set your new covers in direct sunlight for a couple hours before you are ready to put them on.
Keep the frames in the cool shade.
Then take your time to "Slip" (Ya... right!) them over the foam and frames and pay attention to the foam!
It will take a bit of time to get them flat and straight but do it now.

It sounds easy and to me it pretty well is. BUT Attention to details are key here.
I will do seat covers over headliners any day!

I guess thats about it on this subject.

Best of luck!

Later,
Bruce B.

if you do order a set from year one make sure they get you the covers from legendary not p.u.i there stuff is garbage i still have to put my legendary front seat cover on but i figured i'll wear out this p.u.i garbage 1st

-
Back