Legendary vinyl top problem

-

tomcopbar

Reaction score
I bought a black vinyl top a few months ago from Legenday after hearing good things, it was installed last night with an appropriate adhesive. I learned today that the vynil had apparently separrated from the canvas? backing. Has anyone had this happen? Has anyone had problems like this with other Legendary products? Has anyone had a good experience and outcome with another vinyl top producer? Thanks for any input. No pictures, sorry, I wasn't there first hand and by the time I learned of the problem he had already repainted the roof.
Tom
Ps, My means of conveyance is a '71 Dart Swinger.

I have installed Legendary tops on 7 of my Mopars...all by myself in my garage. I used 3M super trim adhesive on all of them and have had perfect results on all of them. I've installed 2 convertible tops from Legendary that were perfect and numerous upholstery sets that were all fine. Maybe it was installer error ? You never know, maybe he screwed it up or trimed it to short and it needed to be redone so the easiest way out (and the only way to save face) was to say that the product was defective...especially since you didn't see it first hand. If I was installing it for you and the product was defective, you bet your *** I would show it to you before I continued.

I am hoping that his dishonesty is not the case. My sister was there to see what was the real deal, I just havent talked ewith her yet, maybe Ill get something different.

Legendary has great products and a reputation to match. I would call them asap and explain the problem.

Also, I'm surprised that the installer did not inform you of the problem w/ the vinyl top before he "repainted the roof". Somethings kinda weird there IMO. Was this an install that you were paying to have done?

Sorry to hear this happened to you......

why does a defective top require repainting?

Good question. I would hope they took pictures of it before doing any more work. I would hate to think they screwed up the top and said ;let remove it quickly and repaint the roof.

The vinyl top is being put on as part of a body and paint job. I have known this guy for years, he has done other work for our family and has worked at a specialized muscle/classic car restoration shop.

The repaint was due to the grinding he did to get the adhesive off. I wondered why he didnt use a chemical remover but he aint the brightest light in the house... He also figured that maybe the clear he had used reacted with the adhesive, went soft or something, he has changed what he did for the roof so there shouldn't be a problem next time.

I wouldnt have painted it if it was getting vinyl. The factory put them over a light coat of primer, No paint. Most upholstery shops will sand or at least scuff the paint before putting on the top.

I wouldnt have painted it if it was getting vinyl. The factory put them over a light coat of primer, No paint. Most upholstery shops will sand or at least scuff the paint before putting on the top.

Exactly...or at the very least, basecoat it but don't clear it. Especially since urethane clear takes a while to fully setup, and any type of adhesive can and will soften it up and ruin the vinyl.

I have bought countless items from Legendary over the years, and in only one case did I ever have a problem. It was with a convertible top boot purchased for my daughters 67 Cuda. It was so tight to get it to install all of the snaps that it developed a small tear around the corner, but in the field of the vinyl. I called Legendary, they immedietly gave me a return authorization, paid for the return shipping of the defective boot and sent me a new boot without question. They wanted the defective boot back to see if there was a problem in the dimensions, but never stated if there was a problem or not, they just sent the new one. The new one has been on for over 2 years now and no problem. They are a company that makes only the highest quality items, and stands behind their products 100%. I did do the work myself and detailed my installation completely to them, so they could have found fault with my installation since I'm not a licensed installer, but they never questioned my installation at all. Not many companies that stand behind their products like they do, I'm sure if it is a defect in the product they will replace it without question, but on your end you need to be forthcoming with all of the details of the installation and the problem. Good luck with your project, Geof

-
Back