length of custom pushrod

-

aaron68s

Reaction score
So I'm measuring for pushrods, I have j heads milled .030 and .025 thick head gaskets, I am also running factory ductile iron adjustable rockers. I have 2-3 threads showing on the adjuster under the rocker (pushrod side) and I'm coming up with 7.125 long pushrods, does that sound anywhere near the correct number? Also the block has not been decked. Thanks for any help Aaron.

Aaron, other than stock pushrods or converting from solid to hydraulic lifter, there is no way to guess at pushrod length regardless of your combination. You need to find a pushrod checker (adjustable length pushrod) to measure for sure. If your pushrods are a tiny bit too long or too short you might be able to guess....but I wouldn't. Sounds like you're close though. tmm

You have pics? I read through your post too quick. It sounds like you're close.

Attachments

• 100_5228.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 221
Aaron, other than stock pushrods or converting from solid to hydraulic lifter, there is no way to guess at pushrod length regardless of your combination. You need to find a pushrod checker (adjustable length pushrod) to measure for sure. If your pushrods are a tiny bit too long or too short you might be able to guess....but I wouldn't. Sounds like you're close though. tmm
Sorry I for got to say, its a hydraulic flat tappet. I'm using a comp cams adjustable lenth checker ball and cup style and subtracting the cup depth, and I come up with 7.125.

I did with mine because I didn't like the angle of the rockers at the valve stem. I think my valves were a touch longer. Things just weren't right till I shimmed the rockers.

My valves are stock length, I marked the valve tip and compressed the rocker and spring and the rockers are pushing dang near the center of the valve tip

not that this is any help to your question but thats exactly what mine came out too... i have a little more off the heads but have a thicker head gasket... i got my pushrods from smith brothers. had them in 2 days from coast to coast!! and was $146 total thats was just in the begining of december so prices shouldnt have really went up. and they are very nice pieces!! great people to deal with!

I removed .100 off a 360 block and .050 off the heads and that was the push rod length I used also had to cut the intake to fit right.

not that this is any help to your question but thats exactly what mine came out too... i have a little more off the heads but have a thicker head gasket... i got my pushrods from smith brothers. had them in 2 days from coast to coast!! and was $146 total thats was just in the begining of december so prices shouldnt have really went up. and they are very nice pieces!! great people to deal with!

I think I'm going to call smith brothers Monday morning, I keep playing with the adjuster hand changing the length of my length checker, and I think 7.125 looks the best geometry wise, I may jack with it some more tomorrow.

I think I'm going to call smith brothers Monday morning, I keep playing with the adjuster hand changing the length of my length checker, and I think 7.125 looks the best geometry wise, I may jack with it some more tomorrow.

Smith Brothers make a nice product ,for the money. And nice to see someone,check the sweep on the valve.Nice work.

Also should I shim the rocker shafts since the heads are milled?

Milling the heads does not affect the rocker height on a Mopar LA or big block so NO, do not shim the rockers because you milled the heads. You could mill an inch off the heads and the rocker arm geometry wouldn't be affected. You make up for milling the heads by using shorter pushrods.

Ordered them this morning from smith bros. Hella nice people, 165 shipped to my door, I should be ripping again this weekend weather permitting LOL

Ordered them this morning from smith bros. Hella nice people, 165 shipped to my door, I should be ripping again this weekend weather permitting LOL

yes great people to deal with. wait till you get them you wont want to install the they are that nice LOL!

-
Back