Lesson learned...

-

19DUSTER73

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Always check your parts when picking up from the machine shop. I knew better but got comfortable and didn't. Close to a year later as I'm getting ready to assemble I find a scratched up head... I suppose I'll go talk to the shop owner and see if it's been an issue and see what he can do.

20211204_183541.jpg

20211204_183548.jpg

He'll say it wasn't like that when he gave it back to you...followed by "bolt it up, it'll be ok..." :)

Yeah cause it will be ok. Non issue.

He'll say it wasn't like that when he gave it back to you...followed by "bolt it up, it'll be ok..." :)
He won't remember lol but that is fully expected. The one arrow shaped scratch is deep enough to catch a nail on. I'll be using an MLS gasket. Part of it extends into the fire ring area of the gasket so it will need addressed. Just a bummer. I thought I had all my bases covered and was ready to build. Oh well **** happens I guess.

He won't remember lol but that is fully expected. The one arrow shaped scratch is deep enough to catch a nail on. I'll be using an MLS gasket. Part of it extends into the fire ring area of the gasket so it will need addressed. Just a bummer. I thought I had all my bases covered and was ready to build. Oh well **** happens I guess.
Yeah, I guess if the fire ring's involved......that ain't good. Might be best to lightly surface it. But then, you'd need to do them both. dammit all.

It that head was sent out like that, I
would be checking more than out than just the decks before I took it back. Was someone not paying attention when the head head came out of the decking mill or was it pushed across a shelf covered in gravel and metal shavings?

It that head was sent out like that, I
would be checking more than out than just the decks before I took it back. Was someone not paying attention when the head head came out of the decking mill or was it pushed across a shelf covered in gravel and metal shavings?

I don't know what happened. I just know it didn't happen sitting in its box on my bench at home. I'll try and stop in this week and talk with the owner. It's been so long that I really have no recourse. There's a good chance the only time he touched them was when I brought them in and picked them up. No machining was done on them.

I work quite a bit with aluminum (machinist) and it is very easy to mark up because its so soft. You would be surprised how often even deep looking scratches dont get far past the surface. I have fixed similar scratches on vacuum plates used to hold down parts. I get a fine lapping stone and wet both the stone and aluminum with some wd40 and LIGHTLY let the stone glide over the surface. You will feel where it catches all the high points and when they're gone the whole surface will feel identical and smooth under the stone as it glides with the oil. Wipe it all clean with a rag and inspect the area, if it all looks clean and feels smooth then you can leave it alone but if you want extra insurance you can go over the area lightly with some red scotch brite (and with fresh wd40) and wipe clean again. Ive done this on areas that are supposed to seal on the gasket of the vacuum plate and everything seals fine. I bet your motor wont notice once you have a gasket on it

I work quite a bit with aluminum (machinist) and it is very easy to mark up because its so soft. You would be surprised how often even deep looking scratches dont get far past the surface. I have fixed similar scratches on vacuum plates used to hold down parts. I get a fine lapping stone and wet both the stone and aluminum with some wd40 and LIGHTLY let the stone glide over the surface. You will feel where it catches all the high points and when they're gone the whole surface will feel identical and smooth under the stone as it glides with the oil. Wipe it all clean with a rag and inspect the area, if it all looks clean and feels smooth then you can leave it alone but if you want extra insurance you can go over the area lightly with some red scotch brite (and with fresh wd40) and wipe clean again. Ive done this on areas that are supposed to seal on the gasket of the vacuum plate and everything seals fine. I bet your motor wont notice once you have a gasket on it

I had thought about dressing it to see what I get. Probably just needs a light skim cut. I'll lay the gasket on it tonight and see exactly where we are at. I held it up to the head last night but was irritated so I didn't examine well.

-
Back