Lessons I learned while welding today.

-

wifehatesmycar

Reaction score
1. Never weld in a boot that has a hole in the top of it.
2. Never lodge your foot in a place where it cannot be easily extracted whilst on fire.
3. I can do a very good Yosemite Sam impression.
4. If, while doing a Yosemite Sam impression with a flaming boot that is lodged between a K-member and a radiator support, while sitting in an engine bay...and you leap to your feet...watch out for that hood.
5.(And most important) When you do something that makes you look like a total noob...people will see you...and laugh.

Don't forget the sunburn you get when welding with goggles only.

Oh man, talk about "I'll never do that again."

Wait! You mean that NOT how you're supposed to weld?
I better write this down.....

2. Never lodge your foot in a place where it cannot be easily extracted whilst on fire.
4. If, while doing a Yosemite Sam impression with a flaming boot that is lodged between a K-member and a radiator support, while sitting in an engine bay...and you leap to your feet...watch out for that hood.
5.(And most important) When you do something that makes you look like a total noob...people will see you...and laugh.
no video??

I was using a stick welder, hole in boot. A big piece of slag found that hole. By the time I finished rolling on the ground, pulling my boot off, I had a 3rd degree burn on top of my foot, 1/4" deep. I learned to watch placement of my feet after that one, lol.

Hole in boot happens all the time , my worst was welding exhaust under my car and had a hole in my glove,i was covered in sweat and i almost dropped the rod on my face so i grabbed it with my other hand (the one with the hole) it grounded on my hand and lit me up.I was stuck under the car being shocked with no one around to help when i finally got loose i had 3rd degree burns on the web of my left thumb (it only took a month to heal over because every time i moved my hand it would reopen.I definately feel for you.

3 things to remember while working on ANYTHING
1. Machines have no mercy
2. if it involves ANYTHING that can kill you, invite a friend over, dont do it alone
3. Welding in the nude is a terrible idea I dont care WHO you are trying to impress

Wait, what?
barelyevil.jpg

barelyevil.jpg

LMAO she's not welding or cutting she is just HOLDING a LIT TORCH for the photo OP.......put that torch to steel and blow a lil O2 she'll be RUNNING for "cover"

Hole in boot happens all the time , my worst was welding exhaust under my car and had a hole in my glove,i was covered in sweat and i almost dropped the rod on my face so i grabbed it with my other hand (the one with the hole) it grounded on my hand and lit me up.I was stuck under the car being shocked with no one around to help when i finally got loose i had 3rd degree burns on the web of my left thumb (it only took a month to heal over because every time i moved my hand it would reopen.I definately feel for you.

That reminds me, another time, I lived in a house that had a carport, the concrete was so slick, and any humidity (duh, Florida) would cause the concrete to get a bead of moisture on it. Busted my *** twice, just trying to carry groceries in. Then one day, I was laying under the '46 Ford F1. Damp concrete; didn't think about it, hooked up the ground, and slid the whip under it. Put on the helmet ( darn, I love these new auto-darken helmets), slid under the truck, and started groping around for the whip(no gloves). Grabbed the electrode, and "holy cow, Batman". If it hadn't been for the helmet, I would have destroyed my face, beating it on the transmission, before I finally forced my hand to let go off the stick.
Ten years later, I sprang for an Italian made mig. After the day I unplugged that pos, and threw it out the shop door, onto the concrete apron (that was fun, it broke into pieces. Let it sit there for a week, then put the pieces back together, and it worked better, lol.) Then I bought a Hobart gas mig. And will never go back to stick, unless welding rusty metal, over 3/8" thick; that old Sears stick welder is still sitting in the corner, un-used for 10 years.

Don't forget the sunburn you get when welding with goggles only.

Oh man, talk about "I'll never do that again."
I used to turn wrenches for a guy that routinely welded stuff while wearing a pair of Ray-Bans for eye protection.

Welding above you is always a bad idea, its too bad its necessary so often (which is why lifts and rotisseries are so nice). No matter how good your equipment is that slag falling on you always seems to find the seam, hole, weak spot or whatever.

I've burned so many holes in myself welding I've lost track, some were definitely because of lax safety equipment, some were just bad luck. But by far the worst was when I had a piece of slag bounce into my ear. Don't know how it happened, but there was nothing to be done about it, it burned itself out in my ear canal. Really an awful feeling knowing whats happening and not being able to do anything about it, couldn't shake it out or reach it. Hurt for weeks!

i had a job casting lead type for a check printer. one of my co-workers was bent over in front of a machine, his pants were bowed out in the back. the machine shot a load of molten lead out. it missed his head but found the gap between his pants and his back and found his *** crack. i did not know a human could make the kind of noises he made.

Oh man that sucks. I haven't got myself yet, but now that I have said it, I am screwed.:angry7:

After the day I unplugged that pos, and threw it out the shop door, onto the concrete apron (that was fun, it broke into pieces. Let it sit there for a week, then put the pieces back together, and it worked better, lol.

That cracked me up because that is something I would do. Especially the part about letting it sit there a week because I was pissed at it. LMFAO!

The spark in the ear is the most painful thing I have ever had happen while welding. It sounded like a freight train comming and you can't turn your head fast enough.

-
Back