Let’s have another discussion. This time TrickFlow heads.

-
On that particular AFR application, was that new heads you worked on or was that used heads where we can know how much ET it picked up? Just curious on that one.

The Trick Flow head is the one I would love to see with that vain and without it. I wish we knew if Trick Flow did dyno and track testing with and without that vain or if they just used it because it works in other platforms. We would never get a straight answer on that.

His heads came in cnc’d already and we threw one on my flowbench. He was pissed off but we fixed it. That’s back when I was porting heads and intakes for 750.00. But I know better know but I did quit for years only doing Matt’s and my stuff. @ratbastad is why I’m enjoying it more now. He turned us on to Killer Carbide Burrs.

Theoretical question. Bench racing, you could say.

Without dyno testing or track testing, what do you guys "think" that vain may do to the column air coming through there? Would it redirect the air from cylinder wall side of the port (left side of PRH's picture) back toward the opposite side of the valve where it's less restricted by the cylinder wall? Would it try to keep the air from the other side of the port (right side of PRH's picture) from going toward the side of the port that is close to the cylinder wall (left side of PRH's picture)?

Without dyno testing or track testing, what do you guys "think" that vain may do to the column air coming through there? Would it redirect the air from cylinder wall side of the port (left side of PRH's picture) back toward the opposite side of the valve where it's less restricted by the cylinder wall? Would it try to keep the air from the other side of the port (right side of PRH's picture) from going toward the side of the port that is close to the cylinder wall (left side of PRH's picture)?

I’m going to eat and then reread that. My thoughts are like we said above I personally think it may help in low horsepower applications. The air speed across the top of the port is probably 1/3 of what the short side speed is. And has an easier entrance into the cylinder. (No sharp turn) As far as directing flow after I do everything I can to in most cases SLOW the airspeed down at the shortside I reshape it to direct air towards the center of the port and away from the wall on the cylinder wall side. I think the bowl needs volume to perform not a big obstacle in the bowl. But Hey I’m just a retired millwright that likes to make little pieces out of big pieces.

I went back and read through one of your previous threads where you were testing and doing some port work. That post had good notes about air speed in different areas of the port.

I’m still letting some of this sink in but I think I will add one thing. I think we put to much weight on valve shrouding. My flow fixture for small block Mopars is 4.015. I feel that if I can get good flow numbers with that fixture a .030 over 360 is guaranteed at least that much. Most of the heads I’ve ported lately have been with a 2.055 valve. I run a 2.08. And if I remember right (it’s been 8 years ) Indy 360-1 heads have a 2.15 valve flowed on the same fixture.

I’m going to eat and then reread that. My thoughts are like we said above I personally think it may help in low horsepower applications. The air speed across the top of the port is probably 1/3 of what the short side speed is. And has an easier entrance into the cylinder. (No sharp turn) As far as directing flow after I do everything I can to in most cases SLOW the airspeed down at the shortside I reshape it to direct air towards the center of the port and away from the wall on the cylinder wall side. I think the bowl needs volume to perform not a big obstacle in the bowl. But Hey I’m just a retired millwright that likes to make little pieces out of big pieces.
If You look at the pic PRH posted, it's actually a ramp/wing combo, which is to create fuel sheer & distribution in dynamically active apps. Say road course/street race/short track etc. I am contemplating fooling with the concept on the iron Olds heads I'm working out right now, but proper wet-flow testing is difficult, and I'm not confident I will be getting meaningful results with the techniques I considered employing. I can tell You that the LS7 head that they developed using that very form was reportedly a real PIA balancing act flow vs fuel quality, but was successful when worked out. Most drag folks will be in the top 1,500rpm of the mill's range 95% of the time+, so there probably isn't much to be gained, if anything for all of that work.

-
Back