Let the tubbing begin.

-

64mopar

Reaction score
I have decided this is the winter for widening my wheel wells.
One side tacked,one to go.
295-50-15s will fit now.

20211218_224634.jpg

Nice work, looks like a Barracuda. Are going to keep the rear folding seat or what are your plans. Keep the pics coming!!

It is a 64 barracuda.
It will be some work,but I do plan on keeping the rear seat operational.

Nice work! Its amazing how much room you gain for a tire. I have a gold in color 64 fish that I mini tubed, narrowed the rear and inboarded the springs on this past summer. I haven’t done anything with the seat yet. Please keep us all posted on your progress and what you do with the seat. I need some guidance with it. Thanks for any suggestions.

Great progress 64mopar. When (if) you move the springs in, what’s your plan for a fuel tank? The stock offset tank leaves no room for exhaust out the back.

I am moving the springs under the frame.
I am going to try to fit a 70 -74 Barracuda tank.
There will be some modifications necessary of course.
I am thinking about a roll cage while I am at it.

Sounds AMAZING. Is it too early to ask about a color / graphics scheme? I can picture B5 Blue.

15 yrs ago or so I became acquainted with a woman in the Columbus, OH area. Her first husband bought her a 67 cuda FB. IIRC, he passed away. She kept the car through thick and thin, took care of the kids, and eventually remarried. After many years she finally got the car painted, running and driving, etc.

Part of that was mini tubbing. They narrowed the rear seat, had it rehupholstered, keeping it fully functional. They also sectioned a new gas tank allowing room for dual exhaust. A lot of work but it was nicely done.

Make no mistake, this was her car and she knew everything about it. I talked to her husband who had an extremely nice 1970 383-4 Barracuda Gran Coupe. He said when traveling together, her car got all the looks and attention and his was practically ignored.

The E body Cuda tank will be a rear fill tube. It would be so high it would end up in the rear panel between the bumper and deck lid. You might be able to make it work.
:thumbsup:

The E body Cuda tank will be a rear fill tube. It would be so high it would end up in the rear panel between the bumper and deck lid. You might be able to make it work.
:thumbsup:
That is my plan.
I know it will take some changes,but I will make it work.

If you could incorporate a little fuel opening door into that flat rear panel, it would look better than a gas cap. I saw a Duster that had a Mustang gas tank in it, with the fuel fill in the rear panel underneath the trunk lock. It had a gas cap, and it kinda stuck out like a sore thumb. :eek:

I will look into a flush pop out style cap when I get close to that point.

Looks great! I'd imagine that the flat piece of metal that makes the floor under the back glass will have to be cut on the outer edges to fit back. I'd like to see the look on the guy's face at ACC Carpet when you call to ask if they have wheelwell carpet for a 64 Barracuda that's mini tubbed!

:rofl:

You can cut and narrow the fuel tank also. I’ve done it before.

Looks great! I'd imagine that the flat piece of metal that makes the floor under the back glass will have to be cut on the outer edges to fit back. I'd like to see the look on the guy's face at ACC Carpet when you call to ask if they have wheelwell carpet for a 64 Barracuda that's mini tubbed!

:rofl:
Do you think they will?

They should be able to make you some. The shape of the wheel well is the same, only wider. They would just need to leave extra material on the end when they heat it on the mold to form it. It's worth a shot to ask. Just tell em you need X inches added to each one on the end pointing towards the outside of the car. The cargo floor part will be no different than factory. You'll just have to cut it to fit.

The sliders are in.
I added metal around the frame for a little extra strength.
Made plates with nuts welded on and dropped those in the frame rail,then ran bolts through the sliders,through the frame into the plates.

20220122_234628.jpg

-
Back