Lets hear your suggestions for a winch for a car trailer.

-
I ended up buying a HF 12k winch for my new trailer, along with a HF hitch mount since my trailer came with a receiver exactly that purpose. Have hauled a few cars with it already, no issues whatsoever. Obviously time will tell, but for the price it won't have to do a whole lot before it's paid for itself in aggravation pushing cars, using a come-along etc. Plus with the hitch mount I could mount it to one of my trucks in a pinch, would be a nice addition to my '71 Ford for when I'm plowing snow, just in case.

View attachment 1716272434
This is what I was thinking
Would you be able to plug it into the 7 pole trailer plug for power or would the wires be to thin?

I run a marine battery on mine, with a solar charger.

What's the best type battery to run a 12000# badlands ?

You know, we all have heard advice about building things with common parts store parts in case you’re on the road and need a warranty/replace. Being a trailer meant for long hauls I am going with an O’Reilly Super Start deep cycle marine.
I briefly looked them up and they have somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 CCA, which is recommended for batter-only winches. Also, I would like to charge that battery off of the 2001 3500 Ram when driving. In order to do that I’ve been looking at dual input battery charger/regulator. Read this:
The Redarc BCDC dual-input battery charger allows for easy charging of a DC battery while you're on the move. Most battery chargers require that you plug into an AC outlet, but this DC-to-DC charger pulls power from your vehicle's start battery instead. The BCDC also has solar power capability so that you can keep your secondary battery charged while you're parked at a remote campsite. This means that you can go off the grid without worrying about being without power.
https://www.etrailer.com/Battery-Charger/Redarc/RED96FR.html

For a typical lead acid battery setup, refer to the wiring diagram (shown with fuses and optional LED and solar panel - sold separately) below:

Redarc BCDC Dual Battery Charger Standard Lead Battery Wiring Diagram

I used a cheap 2000# HF unit and a spare charged up battery. Drug a lot of stuff out with it. C body with 3 locked up wheels, wasn't fast, got the job done.

Clip the cable ends to the battery and get after it. The yellow control unit on the HF's were always the weak point, they broke down.

I have Warn 9500lb winches on my trailers. One is a high speed model for urgent recoveries.

I have seen the badlands brand winch have issues with planetary assembly when overloaded (i.e. usong it for more than it's rating).

My last few trucks have SuperWinch brand winches and they have been good so far.

I'd buy a used Warn before buying a cheap-o. Controlling stored energy (the mass of a vehicle) I tend to proceed with caution.

Whatever you end up with, put it on a reciever and store the winch out of the weather when not in use. Moisture will eventually cause the armature in the winch motor to rust which will make the peformance very poor and possibly damage the motor winding.

You can buy winch covers for the winch.

In my experience the cover just makes the corrosion worse by trapping moisture. That said I'm admittedly reactionary when it comes to winch preventative maintenance.
I tend to forget about the winch on my truck until it is required to proceed. Bad habit!

In my experience the cover just makes the corrosion worse by trapping moisture. That said I'm admittedly reactionary when it comes to winch preventative maintenance.
I tend to forget about the winch on my truck until it is required to proceed. Bad habit!
I have never had any issues with corrosion by covering them, any moisture trapped will be dried out by going down the road.

Warn wants 1260 bucks for a m8000, (part #26502) summit and amazon want $855.
Found it at advance at $734, $675 with a July code.
If that price is legit, and if it ain't chinese, I think I just found my new winch.
Frankly, it LOOKS chinese, and I can't find out yes or no.....
Edit: checked offer again, I was off a bit. $685.
Just for future reference.....
I went to my local advance auto, cash in hand, to buy the warn M8000, at $685 (or 734 if I had to).
Not listed. Not available. Goodbye.
Looks like Walmart (?) and summit have the best REAL price for one.
I'm thinking I might gamble on a rough country 9500 for $350, or $400 with a rope.

Just for future reference.....
I went to my local advance auto, cash in hand, to buy the warn M8000, at $685 (or 734 if I had to).
Not listed. Not available. Goodbye.
Looks like Walmart (?) and summit have the best REAL price for one.
I'm thinking I might gamble on a rough country 9500 for $350, or $400 with a rope.
I checked Advanced as soon as I read the post, for that price I was going to buy another M8000, it was gone.
I have been wanting to add a winch to the back of my truck.
I might buy a M15000 to put on the front, and move the M8000 from the front to the rear.
I know I will have to remove the spare from under the bed, and build custom mounts, but winches on both ends would be so handy to have.

The ole HF 5k floor mounted unit in our race trailer. Solenoids divorced on these so I acquired an electrical box from Amazon to house the relays. We went side mount with removable center pin as the golf cart is in the front of the trailer.

IMG_0037.jpeg

-
Back