Let's play a game called, name that wiring harnes

-

QWK FSH

Reaction score
I removed my under dash harnes today. '68 'Cuda coupe. (First time ever for anything like this) Anyway, I was thinking the new harnes would replace all under dash wiring but I found one, mini harnes the new harnes does not replace. It seems to go in the neighborhood of the glove box. I removed the P side kick panel and sill plate but it doesn't go their.

One wire (orange and looked factory) was connected the "back" of the fuse box. The rest of them I don't have a clue! Can anyone tell me what this harnes is for?

Thank you in advance!

Wiring harnes 1-10-09.jpg

It does not sound like a well put together harness. Does it have a name? Does it have a part number? How many circuits? Do you have a picture of the harness that you can post?

I recently rewired the entire car with a 21 circuit EZ Wiring harness. So I've been down that road.. the car has not burned up yet and everything works.. LOL!

Most of the orange wiring controls lighting for the dash and radio and stuff that needs illuminated. This is separate from the yellow wires which are more for the dome light and door switches. Does your car have a console or did it? It looks like the one plug in your picture is the wiring to a console that has an illumination bulb. That would explain the orange wire. If you have a purple and white wire, that is the backup light switch wiring for a manual that is on the same harness area for the console. It's hard to tell the colors from your picture so if you can give the colors of the wires in question I may be able to figure it out better.

many 68 models having a added lighting group package had a maplight, ignition switch light with delay timer. glovebox lamp, all on that added harness.

I believe in a 68 Barracuda the a/c wiring is blue,green,tan or brown.
Looking at the wiring diagram for a 68 barracuda all wiring to do with lighting is orange.
Looking at your picture I don't see any brackets for a console and there is a light in the console it may be for that as was mentioned before.

Pink wire: glove box, map light,lighter
Yellow:door switch, time delay relay
Yellow with tracer:map light , ignition switch lamp, time delay relay

Hope this helps

You guys are so great! I had to leave for a B-day party so I couldn't keep up here. It's been a long day for me so I'll be more specific in terms of connections/colors tomorrow.

The orange wire that exited from the under side of the fuse box looked factory from the connector on the fuse box. My car has no a/c, no console.

I have a feeling the person I had helping me for a short while disconected a few things from this I'm thinking. The reason I think this is that I didn't disconnect anything from the radio, ignition switch light, or the canister thing that makes that work, map light, (which I didn't see but my helper mentioned seeing one. My car has a glove box light switch but it looks as if a light was never installed. (Could be a replacement glove box liner)

Speaking of glove boxes, I need to remove the lower trim piece. For the life of me I cannot see how this piece or the glove box door comes out. Not that I want to but I can't even see how the lower dash pad comes out either! Maybe everything I've done in the past 30 years was so obvious anyone could do it!!! This car is making me feel stupid!

I'll detail colors/connection on that harnes tomorrow. Where that sucker goes I don't know! Maybe if the glove box was out I'd know?

Thanks again!

#1) Female blade beginning at underside of fuse box.

#2) Twin yellow and brown with a twin female blade connector.

#'s 3 & 4) Triple female connector.
Has twin yellow's entering the back of one slot
Has a pink entering the back side of the second slot
The third slot of the tripple connector (#4 in pic) has a yellow with black trace exiting the third slot out the back and has a female blade of it's own

#5) Orange with a male blade

#6) Double female blade connector. Twin pinks entering one side and a brown in the other.

#7) Pink with a 90 degree female barrel. This wire continues out the bottom of the 90 degree barrel with a pink wire for 3 inches and has a male barrel.

Then this harnes disapears up behind the glove box on the far right side.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

mystery harnes (4).jpg

mystery harnes (5).jpg

mystery harnes (7).jpg

mystery harnes (6).jpg

mystery harnes.jpg

mystery harnes (2).jpg

mystery harnes (3).jpg

Here is how the thing looks all layed out.

Mystery Harens 1.jpg

qwkfsh

I tried to scan the wiring diagrams for you but they didn't want to come out good enough to read. I'll try to explain it.

#1 I'm not sure about

#2 In the diagram I don't see a brown and yellow going to the same connector.

#3 that goes to the time delay relay The pink maybe a faded red the two yellows go to the right and left door switches.

#4 the yellow with the black tracer goes to the ignition switch lamp

#5 Possibly goes to another lamp the diagram just says lamp nothing specific

#6 The diagram doesn't show any pink and browns at one connector. But it could go to the lighter it show 2 pinks going there but no brown which could be a ground.

#7 The 90 degree pink connects to the male connector with a pink wire that goes to the lighter. the single male connector goes to a 90 degree female connector with a red wire. There should be two red wires at this connector one goes to the fuse box the other to time delay relay.

I was going to check mine out today I've got most of them labeled but I got doing other thinks you know how that goes.

You may have extra wire too. I believe they used the same wire harness
in all the models whether it had a console or not. The console had a lighter
and a light for the shift indicator.

I hope this helps a little sorry I couldn't get the diagrams to come out good to post them. Maybe someone else can.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I thought when I bought an "Under dash" harness it would replace everything. That doesn't seem to be the case here though since that mini harness remains. I've been wondering if this mini harness was used with some kind of a optional package or something.

# 1, the orange wire, came out of the back side of fuse box from what looked like a factory male blade connector. My guess would be that's where the power comes from to power the accessories that use this harness.

I take it then all of the items you mentioned do not utilize the main under dash harness to operate? (The harness with the bulk head/circuit board connector?

As you can tell I'm completely out of my comfort zone here! I'll get through it though with a little help from my A Body Forum Friends!

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I thought when I bought an "Under dash" harness it would replace everything. That doesn't seem to be the case here though since that mini harness remains. I've been wondering if this mini harness was used with some kind of a optional package or something.

# 1, the orange wire, came out of the back side of fuse box from what looked like a factory male blade connector. My guess would be that's where the power comes from to power the accessories that use this harness.

I take it then all of the items you mentioned do not utilize the main under dash harness to operate? (The harness with the bulk head/circuit board connector?

As you can tell I'm completely out of my comfort zone here! I'll get through it though with a little help from my A Body Forum Friends!

It sounds like the light package. Map, glovebox, and a light above your ignition switch I believe.

It sounds like the light package. Map, glovebox, and a light above your ignition switch I believe.

That's what I'm thinking. Is that an optional package? I purchased a shop manual and can see where the main harness is covered but can't seem to find this one! :read2:

It definitely is the optional lighting wiring but may not be the right year for your car. It seems to be closer to a 69 than a 68. I have attached a wiring diagram from a 69 and most of wires seem to match with the plugs shown except for the extra wire that goes to the cig lighter, may plug into a console clock, I don't know. At least this is my best guess so far. I may be wrong.

69BarracudaA.jpg

-
Back