Let's see your 1st generation barracuda

-

The_night_rider

Sheriff of Rockridge
Reaction score
After being on the board a few months I noticed many of you own darts, dusters, valiant.

What I don't see as often though are a lot of early cudas or custom early cudas on here. Come on guys, let's see what's our there!!

Also, I love the dusters and darts, so please don't take any offense.

Here's Goldie. 273 2bbl 904 A/C. Been in 3 fender benders that I know of. Will never be a show car but I took on the caretaker's job anyway. Used as a daily driver during nice weather. Pesky rainwater leaks. Larger wheels/tires coming soon I hope. The last photo is my Dad and me.

007.jpg

010.jpg

008.jpg

Her you go,

My 65 that I had since I was 16

P1070008.jpg

Photo1509.jpg

CopyofP1000782.jpg

Photo1374.jpg

Photo1372.jpg

P1000776.jpg

Photo1575.jpg

Photo1572.jpg

Photo1577.jpg

Same car back in 71
cuda.jpg

Same car back in 68
cuda006.jpg

My other 65, completely stock except the Cragars.
P1010325.jpg

Here are a couple I no longer have.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

=;...I've been buying parts...................:sad11:

Thats a good start.

I paid more than I could afford for mine. The body was just too clean to pass up. It was spend more than I wanted too now, or spend more fixing something in worse condition later. It needs carpet, a head liner, some seat repair etc and the paint is faded, but damn its RUST FREE! I rebuilt the 273 last winter where I worked, so that was cheap. It just takes time to get these damn cars how we want them. Oh and MONEY!

Here's mine...

Formula S, 4-speed. Needs a lot of work, but I got it running last Fall. It's a blast to drive.

DSCN4220a.jpg

DSCN4223a.jpg

DSCN4224a.jpg

DSCN4227a.jpg

Here is my 65. White w/ black interior. Plans are 500in 440 w/ stage VI max wedge port heads & M1 single plane intake w/ 1050cfm Holley double pumper, 4-speed, Narrowed Dana 60 w/ 4.10 Posi, ladder bars w/ coil overs. I already have all the parts, I just need time to put it all together.

Barracuda 2.jpg

Barracuda 1.jpg

Barracuda 3.jpg

Engine.jpg

Plans are 500in 440 w/ stage VI max wedge port heads & M1 single plane intake w/ 1050cfm Holley double pumper, 4-speed, Narrowed Dana 60 w/ 4.10 Posi, ladder bars w/ coil overs. I already have all the parts, I just need time to put it all together.

Have you tried to mock up the engine in the car yet? A 440 is a very tight fit in an early A, I had a 440 setting my car and there is less than 1 1/2" between the heads and the shock towers which makes for fitting headers a very difficult process unless you relocate the shock towers, and even then, fenderwell headers are your only option. You also need to pie cut the tranny tunnel to clear the bell housing.

Not yet, I figured I'd finish the rear suspension first. I already cut the rear fenderwells out. I'll look for a local shop to bend some 2"X3" rectangle tubing for the rear frame rails when I get back from this deployment. I plan to build an 8-point cage so the shock towers can be moved in and tied into the forward cage tubes. I plan to run coilovers on the front also to make a little more header clearance. I plan on building my own semi-chassis/fenderwell headers; I'll try to stuff whatever I can inside the frame rails and then put whatever won't fit into the fenderwells.

Have you tried to mock up the engine in the car yet? A 440 is a very tight fit in an early A, I had a 440 setting my car and there is less than 1 1/2" between the heads and the shock towers which makes for fitting headers a very difficult process unless you relocate the shock towers, and even then, fenderwell headers are your only option. You also need to pie cut the tranny tunnel to clear the bell housing.

Blownfish, did you have a flip fuel cap on your cuda in 71?

Not yet, I figured I'd finish the rear suspension first. I already cut the rear fenderwells out. I'll look for a local shop to bend some 2"X3" rectangle tubing for the rear frame rails when I get back from this deployment. I plan to build an 8-point cage so the shock towers can be moved in and tied into the forward cage tubes. I plan to run coilovers on the front also to make a little more header clearance. I plan on building my own semi-chassis/fenderwell headers; I'll try to stuff whatever I can inside the frame rails and then put whatever won't fit into the fenderwells.

I was going to do that but decided to keep the body as original as possible since it was my first car. If your going to ditch the stock fenderwells, then save your self the trouble and get a good set of Headman fenderwell headers, the fenderwell headers keep the engine cooler and with a 4spd, there isn't any room for header tubes around the clutch linkage. It's pretty tight with my sb scatter shield, I could just imagine how tight it will be with a bb bell housing. I also had to cut my clutch linkage down to fit and make a new bracket for the ball stud on the bell housing.

I was going to do that but decided to keep the body as original as possible since it was my first car. If your going to ditch the stock fenderwells, then save your self the trouble and get a good set of Headman fenderwell headers, the fenderwell headers keep the engine cooler and with a 4spd, there isn't any room for header tubes around the clutch linkage. It's pretty tight with my sb scatter shield, I could just imagine how tight it will be with a bb bell housing. I also had to cut my clutch linkage down to fit and make a new bracket for the ball stud on the bell housing.

I pulled all the 4-speed stuff out of my 440, 4-speed, 71 Duster w/ Semi-chassis headers. On the drivers side 2 pipes dumped into the fendwell and on the passenger side only one pipe dumped into the fenderwell. My best friend welded for me back then; he modified the bellcrank and made a new bracket for the pivot on the scattershield. I still have those parts and will reuse them or make new ones to fit. I know it won't be easy, but I'm going to try.

-
Back