Lets see your vinyl topped darts/ hemi orange darts

-

mopardart72

I'm a pretty big deal
Reaction score
My 72 was originally a vinyl top and im contemplating on going back to it but i want to see what it would look like so show us some pictures please:cheers:. also some hemi orange darts thanks

Tyler

Here's a couple for you.

Swing4.jpg

Swing3.jpg

Swing2.jpg

Swing1.jpg

That does look pretty good! but i like it metal but see since it was original vinyl top it has the sheet metal rusting and flaking off would it be cheaper to put the vinyl on or to fix the sheet metal?

I believe you'd have to do some metal work to get a nice, smooth surface to replace the vinyl onto, but probably not as much to make the metal alone presentable. The vinyl can hide some imperfections. I like it because of the originality of the look; it definitely looks like a '70's car.

What do you say would be best? its a 72 and i plan on paiting it hemi orange with probably a hemi dart hood scoop or the dual scoop. with drag radials. would it look funny with a vinyl top?

Here is my 69 Swinger 340 in R4 Charger Red. There were 3 holes over the drivers head along the seam of the original vinyl top. Both lower corners of the back window were rotted through. I made repair panels for the holes and the vinyl top hides any imperfections.

IMG_0631 (Small).JPG

IMG_0632 (Small).JPG

P1010106 (Small).JPG

PA180286 (Small).JPG

PB190310 (Small).JPG

Here is my 69 Swinger 340 in R4 Charger Red. There were 3 holes over the drivers head along the seam of the original vinyl top. Both lower corners of the back window were rotted through. I made repair panels for the holes and the vinyl top hides any imperfections.

My GTS is the same R4 red with a black vinyl top. It was just starting to rust in the rear corners. I flip flopped back and forth between staying original or painting the roof. I caved and miged up the holes and went solid R4 red. Your car looks good with the vinyl top ....... makes me wonder if I should have stayed with it.

Just my personal opinion, but I think muscle cars look better with a vinyl top if the paint color is dark. If it is a high impact color, I think the roof looks better painted the same color as the car.

I think the Darts look the best with a vinyl top. Mine was originally a vinyl top car but I removed it back in the 80's but it just didn't look right so now that I'm redoing the car, I'm going back to the original color with a vinyl top.

Just remember, a vinyl top can help hide a few imperfections but they won't hide everything, a lot will show through the vinyl. Also a dark color vinyl top will get hot in the sun light and any body work you do can start to come apart from the heat. You want very little filler or primer/paint between the top/glue and the sheet metal.

personally i love the vinyl tops! I have one (still original) on my 73 duster and i think it is just another one of those "set the mopars apart from the rest" things that our cars were optioned with. The bow tie and oval guys had some on their cars.....but not as many as the mopars!

-
Back