Let's talk about 550 HP / automatic shift 904

-

airwoofer

Drivetrain limit explorer
Reaction score
Is this still doable? I want the automatic shift with kickdown for my 416 when I put it back into the fish after paint. Engine should put out over 530 HP and over 500 TQ (from 3500). 3.91 gears and about 2700-2800 flash converter. Street / TnT strip.

The other thing is I want to run that 904 and the 416 in my drag Demon while the fish gets painted. Could put in a looser converter for that.

Talking with Cope he was against the automatic VB and became quite a prick about it. So, can I have a automatic CVB at those power levels or not? Probably get the tranny built by PTC.

Turbo Action Cheetah

Torqueflite 727,904,998,999 (PRN321) PN 17676

Provide full manual control or permit automatic operation. Features positive shifts. Maintains stock shift pattern. Manual low gear anytime. Passing gear linkage hook-up required on Torqueflite/Torque-Command. The kit includes valve body assembled where applicable and/or valve body with spacer plate, valve body gaskets, pan gasket(s) and step-by-step installation instructions.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tac-17676

Turbo Action Cheetah

Torqueflite 727,904,998,999 (PRN321) PN 17676

Provide full manual control or permit automatic operation. Features positive shifts. Maintains stock shift pattern. Manual low gear anytime. Passing gear linkage hook-up required on Torqueflite/Torque-Command. The kit includes valve body assembled where applicable and/or valve body with spacer plate, valve body gaskets, pan gasket(s) and step-by-step installation instructions.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tac-17676

I have a slightly modified 904 in my 1972 Valiant that has an approximately 525 horsepower supercharged 360 Magnum , and it is a very happy combination.

I have abused it on the drag strip with many aggressive footbrake launches and it handles the power as if it were attached to a stock slant six.

It has the Turbo Action shift kit, but the shifting can be automatic or manual; your choice.

I don't think that a well-built 904 is anywhere near to the limits of its capability in managing 550 horsepower. Mine barks the tires with authority and it has no special features as far as the internal components are concerned.

An automatic 1-2 upshift can be engineered into the system (governor weight modification) by any competent race-tranny builder. It only involves a lighter governor weight, I think, to shift at the rpm you mandate.

I am no transmision expert, so I could be wrong about that, but I believe that's all there is to it.

There's a reason why the highly-vaunted Pro Tran$ is based on the 904; there's nothing better, OEM.

My 2-cents...

-
Back