Let's Talk About Alkeehawl

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion I don't like bourbon. I've tried SO many, I'm tired of wastin money on it. I just give it away. I've given away a full fifth of Makers Mark with one shot out of it. Many more different brands, too, so my conclusion is, I do not like bourbon. I puked my fair share of it back in my high school days, maybe the memory of that taste is what it is, I don't know. But I do enjoy a drink now and then. I rarely ever drink beer anymore. I do like Fireball, but I'm kinda on a hiatus from it, because It's gettin a little repetitious. I do like the original Southern Comfort. They changed over to a "real" bourbon, but the original is still available. I've tried my share of sch I cannot STAND vodka. It's like drinkin isopropyl alcohol. Just God awful. Are any of yall like that and don't really like bourbon? What do you drink?

I have seen almost every person that takes a drink of whiskey to make a face that looks really unpleasant. They all either squint, wince, cough a little or grit their teeth. That in itself shows me that it is not for me.
I've tasted a few and I can understand why they all make faces....It sucks. It burns. I can't find any pleasure in the taste of it.
In fact, I have yet to find any beer that I like either.
If I want to get drunk, I have to gulp down something mild like Vodka and chase it with something strong and sweet like Grape juice, Mountain Dew, Orange juice or 7 UP.
I enjoy mixed drinks....because I can rarely taste the alcohol in them.
Maybe my lack of affinity for alcohol is why I never had an ugly one night stand.
1 laugh 6.jpg

I get it, I had a very bad experience as a teen with a fifth of Jack, should have had it pumped out and was drunk for days. Even 20+ years later just the smell of Jack makes me want to vomet. So for a long time I would only drink rum, vodka or tequila. Mainly Ketel One, Goose, Monopovola, or Tito’s and tonic with lime or margaritas, once in a while tequila shots and beer or rum and cokes. I went to the Kentucky Derby and the chefs were drinking Woodford and gingers, as much as Jack grosses me out, I tried one and damn it was good. What I’ve since learned since my jack days is that the mainstream bourbons / whiskey like Makers, Beam, Jack are crap compared to a small hand crafted bourbon that’s not just brown colored fire in a bottle.
So for bourbons, I’d try George Dickel, Woodford, Gentleman Jack, Blanton’s, and others in the 25-50 a bottle range.
Tequila, same thing, the 25-50 a bottle range, I really like El Mayor tequila, and is in the 20’s range. Already listed smooth vodkas above that are not rubbing alcohol. As for rum best bang for the buck for a spiced rum is Mt Gay Eclipse.

I have seen almost every person that takes a drink of whiskey to make a face that looks really unpleasant. They all either squint, wince, cough a little or grit their teeth. That in itself shows me that it is not for me.
I've tasted a few and I can understand why they all make faces....It sucks. It burns. I can't find any pleasure in the taste of it.
In fact, I have yet to find any beer that I like either.
If I want to get drunk, I have to gulp down something mild like Vodka and chase it with something strong and sweet like Grape juice, Mountain Dew, Orange juice or 7 UP.
I enjoy mixed drinks....because I can rarely taste the alcohol in them.
Maybe my lack of affinity for alcohol is why I never had an ugly one night stand.
View attachment 1715932675
Yeah and I got ZERO problem with never drinking again. But I do enjoy a drink of Fireball here and there, so I am confident there's "something" out there that I like.

Not much of a drinker any more. My bad experience was with tookillya, so none of that.
Occasional cold beer, amaretto,and i enjoy 40 creek.

Only water, coffee or tea for me. I save the 85 alcohol for my car.

I had the same "bad experiences as a child" with "Jack" and "Jim".

To this day, just the smell of any bourbon or whiskey literally makes my throat close.

I will agree about Fireball, though as the cinnamon nicely camouflages the taste and smell.
The problem with most cinnamon flavored drinks (I was on After Shock for a while) is the high sugar content.
That's kind of an issue with Southern Comfort as well.

We're now on vodka margaritas, made with diet lemonade mix.
You pretty much can't taste the alcohol at all, esp with a salted rim.
Tequila margaritas also but there is a distinct taste to those.

I also do high percentage "mid grade" red wine like Cabernet or a strong red blend.
At 12-14% it's stronger than beer but not as strong as even grocery store liquor.
I get several bonuses with wine (but only the strong red).
1- it's chock full of anti-oxidants and amino acids, those are great general health benefits
2- for me it's the best ratio of alcohol content to calories to trips to the restroom.
3- as a diabetic, it can actually lower my blood sugar levels. In fact, I have to be careful if I'm drinking a lot, not to get too low.

Last edited:
Have you tried any Canadian Whiskey? Much smoother than Bourbon in my opinion. Not sure you can get it down there but 40 Creek is made about an hour away from here. It is really smooth, a bit sweet and has a taste of vanilla.

I drink alcohol 3-4 days a year, and have had a few with zero intake. Just don't care for it much, anymore. Get me with friends at a good mexican joint....

I would stay with Fireball if it's in your wheelhouse. I don't drink much other than bourbon. I also don't mix it with anything including ice or water. Good bourbon (not necessarily expensive) can be sipped and enjoyed. I pour a oz. or two and watch a movie with the wife. It can last me a couple hours. The nose and palate will change as it sets. You can get some fun and interesting flavors.

View attachment 1715932722

20220526_151916.jpg

European countries Finland, Sweden, and Norway pulled Fireball off their shelves back in 2014. The reason? They accidentally received the North American formula of Fireball, which contains a higher amount of propylene glycol than is legal in Europe

Read More: The Real Reason Fireball Was Recalled

Hey Rob....bourbon is not my favorite anymore. Working at the resort I unintentionally became a snob about liquor. Discovered Nolet's. Dutch gin est. 1691 and the family still makes it 10 generations later. 95 proof. I don't care for other gin but this is different. On the rocks, plain or with orange or lemon peel if I have it. I find myself drinking less and less sweet liquors like bourbon and rum. It's medicinal but in a good way. The first sip wakes up your taste buds, then it smooths out as the ice melts. I admire the Dutch, they do things right.

After many years I've settled on Gin with lime juice (the more lime juice the better). You get your Vit C and a buzzzzzzz. Gin has no carbs. I had a bad experience with Tequila when I was young, couldn't stand the smell for over 20 years. Eventually I was able to drink a Magarita (25 years later) .........but now I just stick to Gin!!

Didn’t know that, I thought it was a whiskey.

I would say Irish.
Single Malt Scotch is usually not peated. The peated stuff is a acquired taste for sure. It is very similar to Irish Wiskey. (note the spelling difference between the two) American Whiskey is usually a blend or immature spirits that don't fit into the "Bourbon" rules from the Government. (minimum of 4 years old, finished in a American Oak barrel, etc)

I was a raging alcoholic by the age of 16. I stopped drinking at 27 otherwise I would probably would not had made to the age 40 let alone to 62. Jack and I had many a night.

Didn’t know that, I thought it was a whiskey.

I would say Irish.

Speaking of the Irish..........I was in a bar in Ireland when two fat women came in talking in an interesting accent. I said, "Cool accent, are you two ladies from Ireland?" One of them snarled at me, "It's Wales, you idiot!" I corrected myself, "My apologies ladies, so are you two whales from Ireland?" I woke up two day later in the hospital!!!!!

Speaking of the Irish..........I was in a bar in Ireland when two fat women came in talking in an interesting accent. I said, "Cool accent, are you two ladies from Ireland?" One of them snarled at me, "It's Wales, you idiot!" I corrected myself, "My apologies ladies, so are you two whales from Ireland?" I woke up two day later in the hospital!!!!!
:rofl:

:rofl::rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Single Malt Scotch is usually not peated. The peated stuff is a acquired taste for sure. It is very similar to Irish Wiskey. (note the spelling difference between the two) American Whiskey is usually a blend or immature spirits that don't fit into the "Bourbon" rules from the Government. (minimum of 4 years old, finished in a American Oak barrel, etc)
I gotta try it.

-
Back