Lets talk Shocks

-

1970Duster

Reaction score
Ok well I know the standard shocks are good and everything but I'm looking for something different. So my question is, has anyone tried/seen/heard of anybody using the magnetic shocks that are found on (pretty sure there are more but these two cars I know use them for sure) Ferrari and Corvette? I know these react much faster and smoother than the standard shocks, which is what I'm looking to do, so any help would be great!

Well in order to use those shocks to their full capability you would first need to obtain the ecu for the suspension which is going to be pricing yet alone the shocks. Then you would have to dial in the ecu (dont know how you would) to adjust the shocks the way you want and for the purpose of the vehicle. Also these ecus get info from vertical, horizontal acceleration sensors along with others to determine how stiff/soft the shock should be at that split second. A lot of development work goes along with these types of suspensions.

It's a great idea but i think the benefit and the cost just isn't realistic.

One more thing, majority of the time are you really going to be pushing the car to the limit to really feel the benefit?

The magnetic shocks require a ton of wiring, sensors, and transducers. Better systems take pitch and yaw into account so that shocks can be loaded or unloaded as the system requires. It would be cool for sure and you wouldn't necessarily have to be on the track to not the difference.

The most practical systems I have seen are made by Penske or Sachs. These aren't magnetic but are infinitely adjustable. They can also be installed without an electrical engineering degree. The linke below is for the Sachs system. (They also make the magnetic systems for Mercedes.)

http://sachssport.com/racingdampers.htm

-
Back