Lever vs diaphram clutch

-

64drtGt

Slant Six Lunatic
Reaction score
I was looking at autozones site to see how much a clutch kit would cost me and I noticed they have them for diaphram and lever style what is the difference?

Lever style (Borg and Beck) is what Mopar used pretty much exclusively. They hold much better than the diaphragm style. The diaphragm only has an advantage in that it is easier to depress.

Lever style (Borg and Beck) is what Mopar used pretty much exclusively. They hold much better than the diaphragm style. The diaphragm only has an advantage in that it is easier to depress.

i would agree with that except alot of the new diaphragm clutches have the weights that increase holding power in the mid rpm range...

but on the other side alot of the stock/cheap clutches dont so a "3 finger" would be better...

When diaphragm PPs first came out, and performance started "going up" the earlier ones sometimes had a problem LOSING force at high RPM and actually staying "towards the floor."

Those problems have been engineered out

I used to run a 10 1/2 'Vette clutch in my 340 and just LOVED it. Even with the over --center spring removed, it was easier to operate than a heavy BB

When the 340 and solid cam was in the old FJ-40 LC, that thing could wind up over 7K on a hillclimb and I never had a BIT of trouble with that PP

I would strongly discourage you against the diaphram clutch. Although smooth and easy to depress it would 'go over center' quite often causing the peddle to stick to the floor. As much as I adjusted it would still do it on occassion. After a few months I went back to the three fingure pressure plate.

Few things worse than power shifting and not having the clutch peddle come back....lol!!

-
Back