lexan windshield, 1971 dart?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
Anyone know if folks are making one?
I thought I read about someone forming There own with the orignal as a template and heat gun? Is that doable?

I gotta pull my orignal cracked front glass to install the cage and think I would rather just get away from glass.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.

Thanks for the link but when i click on products nothing happens?

i guess i gotta call from work and see about price and avabillity?

I've always made my own. Take the windshield and trace the pattern onto a piece of Lexan. Then add exactly 1 inch to the line you traced all the way around. It will be a perfect fit without the gasket. Then tape off the center up to the line you originally traced and paint the one inch left showing flat black. You will have a nice windshield with a blacked out strip around it. I use peel and stick 1/2" thin foam to the car then drill and use stainless screws around the edge every 4-5 inches. Lot of time and work but looks good when your done.

i did work as a glazer when i was a kid and we bent plexy with a heat gun..
can i just buy a sheet and heat it over my glass?( lexan not plexy.)

I don't know about that. I never tried to heat and form Lexan. When I do it I just cut it out of a flat sheet and used it that way.

image.jpeg
I made my own, sat the original windshield in window frame without the gasket and placed masking tape on windshield to write on with a sharpie pen plus 5/8 plus 7/8 etc. rough cut the lexan 2 inches bigger than original glass and placed under windshield and used spring clamps to hold them together and marked the new outline. Cut it very slow with a 60 tooth thin kerf skill saw blade and touched it up with 4 inch hand grinder. Then cut the plastic film back 2 inches scuffed and sprayed a black border. Did front and rear on my 71 dart came out great.

so the lexan will just form with out heat?

how the heck do you get it to make the curves?

Nwdart, that is a good lookin sum bich...

The last two cars I made one for was a 72 Scamp and a 67 barracuda. I didn't have a problem I guess because they don't have much of a curve to them.

No heat needed ,when you lay out the pattern for screws start in the middle top and go both ways. Go slow and do not rush it. Was not difficult and end result is totally cool.

Front should be no less than 3/16..rest can be 1/8

I have the one out of the Butch Leal / California Flash B/MP Hemi Duster (was in it when I bought the body)......I have not (publicly) offered it for sale yet.....but I will let it go for $250 plus shipping (lays flat and does not weigh much)......has the Flash's number (in stickers) on it.... 7600 with B/MP under it. it will peel right off

I am pretty sure the Dart front glass is different than the Duster.

if someone does not use it as a windshield....would make great wall art....looks pretty cool

hemidenny,have a pic of that windshield might know someone that might be interested in it for there duster,for there nostalgia pro stock duster,would make good wall art too

-
Back