Liberty proshifted trans popping out of gear

-

shobes

Reaction score
I recently had all new gears made at Liberty along with a new shaft, 1-2 are proshifted and 3-4 are faceplated. We have the 18 spline 833 all together properly and put in my Duster, its shifted by a Hurst Vertigate. It shifts great under power, perfect, but it wants to pop out of gear in 1st and 3rd when I let off the gas/decelerate.(ie normal driving around or curves etc). The shift stops( well you can't have one in 1st) are set so it's in gear after I shift, really don't think that is the issue. I can hold it in 3rd real easy, 1st I don't even bother. It's a bummer, since I drive my car more on the street than on the track but hopefully I'll figure it out. I was willing to sacrifice a little streetability for how great these shift, but this is a little too much if I can help it.

Any thoughts on what I might be missing or what I can do/try to correct this?

may well be, though liberty says they should stay in gear and another trans we built(though it was all pro shifted, no faceplating)stays in gear just fine.

Guess we'll see if anyone has any ideas or if I just live with it?

it shouldn't pop out of gear, the proshift rings will only do that when there wore out. faceplate shouldn't do it at all. did you get new shift forks, or have liberty's inspect everything. how about the stops on the shifter? really sounds like its not going into gear all the way. i drove mine all over on the street, never had any issues.

I recently had all new gears made at Liberty along with a new shaft, 1-2 are proshifted and 3-4 are faceplated. We have the 18 spline 833 all together properly and put in my Duster, its shifted by a Hurst Vertigate. It shifts great under power, perfect, but it wants to pop out of gear in 1st and 3rd when I let off the gas/decelerate.(ie normal driving around or curves etc). The shift stops( well you can't have one in 1st) are set so it's in gear after I shift, really don't think that is the issue. I can hold it in 3rd real easy, 1st I don't even bother. It's a bummer, since I drive my car more on the street than on the track but hopefully I'll figure it out. I was willing to sacrifice a little streetability for how great these shift, but this is a little too much if I can help it.

Any thoughts on what I might be missing or what I can do/try to correct this?

why would you build a pro-shifted trans for the street??

but besides that are all your detents set up right in the shifter?? undo the 1-2 shift rod, place shifter in 1, place rod in first and see if it lines up with the hole in the shifter....

thinking your shifter is mis-adjusted...

it shouldn't pop out of gear, the proshift rings will only do that when there wore out. faceplate shouldn't do it at all. did you get new shift forks, or have liberty's inspect everything. how about the stops on the shifter? really sounds like its not going into gear all the way. i drove mine all over on the street, never had any issues.

I actually got new shift forks from Liberty, basically all new gears/cluster gears and reconditioned main shaft. We will get it on the hoist and check some stuff again, just figured I'd bounce it of FABO and see what advice I can get.

why would you build a pro-shifted trans for the street??

but besides that are all your detents set up right in the shifter?? undo the 1-2 shift rod, place shifter in 1, place rod in first and see if it lines up with the hole in the shifter....

thinking your shifter is mis-adjusted...

I could not resist how the Liberty trans shifts, speedshifts are so solid,besides I run my car hard on the street as well and can handle the issues with downshifting:burnout:. worst case I get sick of it and put my old 23 spline setup in and my tranny builder will buy 18 spline setup.
When we get the car on the hoist I'll make sure we double check the detents.

hi, I had to remove shifter stops and rework the side covers ball and detent combs on my slick shifted 833 trans. mine is a GER 10 lug system. just food for thought. also I used mobil one syn gear oil.

I would say it is in the shift linkage adjustment. I have Liberty syncroed first, pro shifted second , face plated third and forth, drive it every were on the street never popped out of gear. But you can pull the side cover look at the clutching teeth on the gear and see if they are tapered in as it gets closer to the gear same with the face plate lugs. If they are strait or tapered away from the gear it will pop out of gear. But seeing as it is both gears in the forward position I think it is misaligned linkage.

appreciate the feedback guys, will be having a look once the hoist is open and hopefully it will just take a little more adjusting and she'll stay in gear.
hoping so, boy do I love the easy and positive power shifts with the liberty shifted 18 spline !:burnout:

Did some adjusting and really couldn't get it too much better. Next move I think will be to put it on the hoist, get it in first then disconnect the shifter and test drive to see if it will stay in first gear. Perhaps my shifter is causing the troubles, dunno.

well didn't solve the tranny popping out of gear problem, but found out my Duster hooks well enough/has enough power to blow up something in my rear end when i launched at 4200 RPM. egads........have to get it opened up and see if it was the gears or the posi unit, if gears then i guess Dana 60 time as I 'had' new Richmond gears and the posi is new Auburn. sheesh, fun and games with slicks!

well didn't solve the tranny popping out of gear problem, but found out my Duster hooks well enough/has enough power to blow up something in my rear end when i launched at 4200 RPM. egads........have to get it opened up and see if it was the gears or the posi unit, if gears then i guess Dana 60 time as I 'had' new Richmond gears and the posi is new Auburn. sheesh, fun and games with slicks!

first off mopars dont have posi's... but i bet that auburn gave up the go...

if you cant get it fixed i would send it to jamie passon and he will fix it right the first time...

first off mopars dont have posi's... but i bet that auburn gave up the go...

if you cant get it fixed i would send it to jamie passon and he will fix it right the first time...

yeah I know it's not a posi, it's just our slang for limited slip.:eek:ops:

Curious about opinions on what differential might be a better choice. This Auburn pro, if it is toasted, only had one session at the track and a few burnouts on the street since it was installed this spring along with the new gears.

here's a pic of the destruction, ugly ! I put my old 489 case with 4.30 gears and a clutch posi back in last night. guess we'll try this again!

Attachments

• IMG00218-20111003-1917.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 331
-
Back