Life after Holley Sniper - back to Carb

-
he said I have 4 cars with Snipers and not a single car could pull out of the shop

i'd have to question his ability at that point.. i have a good friend that owns a shop and has installed quite a few sniper systems including on his own vehicle (general lee charger). has had an issue with interference on just one car. all the others started up and ran great. he uses a tuner who reads his data logs and emails him the tunes to fine tune it which is something i think is really needed for any of these kits... i'm curious to see how the sniper 2 works out, holley was supposed to address some of the original sniper complaints with the second version..

Last edited:
i'd have to question his ability at that point.. i have a good friend that owns a shop and has installed quite a few sniper systems including on his own vehicle (general lee charger). has had an issue with interference on just one car. all the others started up and ran great. he uses a tuner who reads his data logs and emails him the tunes to fine tune it which is something i think is really needed for any of these kits... i'm curious to see how the sniper 2 works out, holley was supposed to address some of the original sniper complaints with the second version..
The first gen snipers, weren't the most reliable. Lots of failed ECUs and EMI problems as you said. The other problem is their marketing, "self-tuning", my ***. They NEED to be properly tuned. The "self-tuning" they talk about is short term fuel comp, which is fine but that still leaves at least 10 tables that need to be addressed for every single install in order to get your money out of them. Then we get into the actual physical install, these cars are old, the wiring is old, the design midset is old, people are afraid or hate the tediousness of wiring things properly. A lot of these installs are destined to fail. Proper grounding, and RTFM the big *** manual is a must. I'd tell anyone who doesn't find process control and electronics interesting to pass on an aftermarket ECU unless they are willing to actually outlay the money to send it to an installer and tuner who actually knows what they are doing, not JimBobs garage down on the corner. No offence to anyone, JMHO.

It does seem the Sniper has a much higher success rate than the FiTech. At least, that's what I see.

-
Back