Lift kits on Ram

-

mopar_1974

Reaction score
just wondering what options there are for lifting a 1984 ram. I just bought my dads 84 ram with a 4 inch kit and 33 inch tires... but it gets 6.3 miles to the gallon, far less than what it used to get. I found another 84 ram with a 360 manual tranny that i may buy and thought about lifting it to fit 35 inch tires. How much lift will that take? What are my best options?

Skyjacker makes some great suspension parts and I've never had a problem installing any of their kits. Here's a link to their tire size chart that shows how much lift is needed for what size tire on what vehicle: http://www.skyjacker.com/image/catalog/pdf/tire%20chart.pdf

Here's a link to their home page: http://www.skyjacker.com/ You will also find a link to their master catalog on this page.

Dodge trucks are not known for their fuel economy, but you should be getting about 8-10 mpg in the city and 10+ mpg on the highway. I would start with a leakdown or compression check to see where you stand. You may have a burnt valve. Let us know what you find.

Also, what gears are you running? Has the gear ratio been changed when the lift was done to compensate for the larger tires? What size ram is it?

also remember if you don't recalibrate the speedo the odometer you use to calculate your milage is wrong too.bigger tires = more "miles" per mile or false "low milage".Just a thought.

just wondering what options there are for lifting a 1984 ram. I just bought my dads 84 ram with a 4 inch kit and 33 inch tires... but it gets 6.3 miles to the gallon, far less than what it used to get. I found another 84 ram with a 360 manual tranny that i may buy and thought about lifting it to fit 35 inch tires. How much lift will that take? What are my best options?
FWIW, and not to hijack the thread but... I have a real nice 89 Ramcharger with a 360, 670 street avenger, iron 4bbl intake, 1.88J heads, cam, 4" lift, 33" BFG All terrains, 15x10 MT Classic II wheels, Limited slip, 3.91 gears, Swapped in a rebuilt 518 OD trans, rebuilt transfer case, headers, dual 2 1/2 exaust, etc, etc.... I'm trying to sell - actually haven't listed it anywhere yet, but if you're looking, I'm selling. I'm pretty sure you could fit 35" tires under the lift I got. Everything I mentioned has been rebuilt or is brand new with less than 10,000 miles. Tons of other goodies and mods that I've done to it. I actually had a real nice built 360 that I have removed from it for my Duster project. It's been replaced with a semi-stock rebuild 360 with the mods I've mentioned.

To answer your question - if it's a new lift, a 4" should work. If you're looking for a good price, check out Rough Country's web site. http://www.roughcountry.com/ Great prices and complete lifts w/ shocks and hardware.

Also - if you're looking to IMPROVE MPG, bumping up to 35"s is probably not the way to go.

yeah, i thought about that, but the mileage is still horrible. it cant even make my 220 trip home on a full 30 gallon tank anymore. it used to do it with gas to spare. It is starting to sputter and has a hesitation when accelerating. I also thought it could be a valve problem. I know 35 inch tires wont help mileage at all, but it still shouldn't be that horrible. The truck im looking at is $250, and it has little to no rust. but no title. so even if i cant apply for a lost title, its a good parts truck. another question. what are differences between 1/2 tons and 1 tons in that year? what axels did they have?

-
Back