lifter noise? help

-

leos dart

Reaction score
I have a 68 dart gts, 340 motor mopar lifters ,stock rocker arms car starts easily runs strong no metal filings in pan and yet their is a noticable lifter tick or tappet noise on acceleration but reasonably quiet at idle.I even doubled header gaskets thinking it might be a header leak did not make a difference so I removed headers and trued up the flanges where they bolt to the motor still noisey.I know some of guys have been wrenching on mopars for a long time and any help or insight into my problem would be greatly appreciated ps 5200 mi. on motor. thanks in advance Paul.

Are you sure your not hearing spark knock? That'll happen when you accelerate but I never heard lifters tick when accelerating. What is the total timing set at?

Your welcome Paul. Ok 36 isn't bad if the compression isn't super high and your running good fuel. I should have also asked what is the compression ratio and what grade of fuel are you running?

It's hard to pinpoint a sound and where it's coming from when driving the car.
Did you check to make sure that the headers are sealing good at the end of the header near the collector.
Also if you have a smaller cam, with a small amount of duration,it can ping with 36 total timing.
Are you running premium fuel????
Have you ever heard a car ping before, that you owned or have been around to know what it sounds like?????

fishy 68 the compression is 10.7 to 1. I live in Canada so the highest octane I can get is 94 from sunoco but I have added lucas octane booster from tme to time and yes this car is known to ping when under load when climbing a steep hill, but I am certainly going to check the collector gasket thanks for your interest in my problem Paul

94 is pretty high octane. better than I have here (93 is the best here). I wouldn't expect the additive to help much. If you read the print most say it raises octane 3-5 points. That's true but misleading. It's misleading because it actually only raises it to 94.3~94.5 octane. The points they refer too are just that, points. Not actual full octane numbers, such as raising it to 97 or 98 octane. Hope that makes since as it was hard to write and get to come out correct. since you know what pinging sounds like I assume you don't think it's just pinging. At the same time if a lifter would actually be ticking I'm not sure you you'd hear it over the roar of the engine since you said you only hear it when your accelerating. That's why I'm inclined to think it's something else. Even in spite of trueing up the headers it could be them. check the collector gaskets like T67 said and if you don't find a problem there check the header gaskets again. Make sure the gasket is completely covering the sealing surface. I have a good header related problem for you. Last year I installed Percy's dead soft aluminum header gaskets on my Cuda and they didn't seal very well even after re-torque'ing them 3 times so I just left em go cause I'm planning on replacing them with Doug's or TTI's. Well after about 1000 miles of driving they seem to have sealed themselves up. Strange how it took them so long to seal. BTW: They made a ticking sound upon acceleration when they leaked so headers can do it.

sounds like great advice.I am going to concentrate on both ends of the headers can anyone recommend a good header gasket I heard that a good gasket plus high heat adhesive works well thanks again for your input. Paul

I wish I could recommend a good gasket but as of yet I have not found one I'd recommend. As I mentioned the Percy's did seal up on mine eventually but I'm not sure they would in every circumstance. I haven't tried high temp sealer but have had a lot of guys say they've used it with success. Sorry I can't be more help.

I will concentrate on headers and try and eliminate them from the equation.On a separate note I see that you reside in the same state that I bought the car 3yrs ago .The man that sold the car to me was a very honest person and a pleasure to deal with,car came from Peoria.Thanks again for your help Paul

I'm about 100 miles south of Peoria. Glad you found an honest seller. The guy I bought my Cuda from was just the opposite. Nearly everything he told me was wrong.

Use fell pro or mr. gasket.
I have had really good luck sealing headers by using two gaskets per side.

I am going to try two per side and see what happens, thanks again Paul.

-
Back