lifter noise?

-

joshua dewitt

Reaction score
just went threw 15-20 mins then shut down to cool down, was running hot, 3 times... then fond out t- stat was stuck closed, and was brand new, since replaced and did 10--15 mins and revved up and held I would say @ 2500 rpms. the ach quit working, go figure... anyways, when I was doing so momentarily had a noise form passenger side sounded like lifter clacking, like collapsed. the went away. 90 psi cold, and 60 psi warm. new engine and no leaks. used com cams break in oil 10w30 and comp cams lifter break in lube, was pre primed, anyone ran into this? only on higher revs possible weak lifter? or something else? wasn't making any noise at last sun, like I said for a very brief second or two, but has done it more than once?????
318/340mp cam, old stock, not newer junk.....9.5:1 comp. 1.5 tock rockers for 302 casting heads.

exhaust leaks sound alot like noisey lifters....

not a exhaust leak, I checked, and it is defiantly a collapsed lifter type tick, but like I said momentary, like it lost and collapsed than back to normal, kind of weird. and if exhaust leak would by all the time, this came and went... I also have the fancy dead soft aluminum header gaskets on it and no leaks anywhere, I took real close measures to avoid this. it sounds pretty damn good for a 318 with mp 340 cam , not too much,, dynomax ultra flows.. full headers 2.5 full piping...

No telling what it is. Probably something simple as some assembly lube running through a lifter or two. Even like Tony said. Could be exhaust.

An exhaust leak between the head and the manifold can be there when cold/cool and disappear as the manifold heats up.

But IMO, it doesn't sound that similar to a rocker arm or lifter. You can find it by sounding the ports and runners, but it will, of course, have to be noisy at the time of testing.

no I know it is mechanical, but I agree ma have ben assembly lube.. well after new carb, I will readdress after an idle reset, my summit Holley 4100 series is acting up, need a new throttle shaft, time for a brand new one for this baby... after x-mas, spent all my dun kits on everyone else... will post vids as soon as I figure out how...

Also possibly a valve sticking now and then.... or a piston sticking in the lifter like you suspect. Stock stamped rockers?

-
Back