Lifter Question

-

74 DART'

Reaction score
Im working on a 74 225. My engine has adjustable rocker arms so i assume it has solid lifters. Is there any thing inside of the lifters ? Im wanting to soak them in some cleaning solution and then clean engine oil but want to find out if there is anything inside that i may damage.

That'll be fine; there's nothing inside the (yes, solid) lifters. However, it's important each lifter be kept with its original camshaft lobe.

Check the bottom of each lifter for wear. If score marks, you will need a new camshaft and lifters. There were hydraulic lifters in slants starting ~1978. Those engines also had different heads w/o spark plug wells (we term "peanut" heads). It wouldn't be easy to change to hydraulic lifters since slant engines have unique oiling, having no oil passages to the lifter bores. Most owners wouldn't want to change anyway since hydraulic camshafts available are low performance.

There were hydraulic lifters in slants starting ~1978.

Small production test run of hydro-lifter 225s in '78. All others were solid-lifter engines til '81, then all hydro til the end in '87.

Those engines also had different heads w/o spark plug wells (we term "peanut" heads).

First year for the peanut-plug head was '75. Had nothing to do with the '81 changeover to hydro lifters (though the '81-up heads are different in detail than the '75-'80 heads).

It wouldn't be easy to change to hydraulic lifters

Not difficult: rocker shaft assembly with arms, spacers, bolts, and washers. Pushrods. Lifters. Groove the rearmost cam journal or bearing.

Most owners wouldn't want to change anyway since hydraulic camshafts available are low performance.

Not much in the way of upgrade cams for the hydro-lifter Slants available off the shelf, true, but custom cams are readily buyable from a reputable camshaft house. You'd have to do more homework, though, to come up with the grind you want. There is a good selection of solid-lifter cams available off the shelf. On the other hand, hydro lifters = no more periodic lash adjustments.

-
Back