Lifter rattle at start up

-
Not saying yours had trash in em, but I disassemble and clean every lifter before using them and more often than not I find junk from manufacturing in them. And that hangs up the check valves. .030 on preload is right in the normal range, but you may try experimenting with +or- .010 and see if the noise changes.

Yeah, I’m doing a rear hydraulic cam build and I need to do the disassembly. Another reason NOT to use those things.

Yeah, I’m doing a rear hydraulic cam build and I need to do the disassembly. Another reason NOT to use those things.
What’s a “rear hydraulic cam build”? I’m not familiar. I like hydraulic rollers, I’d say 80% of the crap I screw together gets one. More serious stuff I lean towards a solid roller.

What’s a “rear hydraulic cam build”? I’m not familiar. I like hydraulic rollers, I’d say 80% of the crap I screw together gets one. More serious stuff I lean towards a solid roller.

LOL. I’ve GOT to proof read my stuff before I post it. I’ll fix it.

EDIT: WTH??? I can’t edit that post. That’s dumb.

What I wanted to say is I’m doing the RARE hydraulic lifter build.

The moronic iPad changed rear to rare and I didn’t proof read it.

Junk is junk at any price.

I've heard comp hydraulic rollers and they can be noisy too and that's why I'm going to use solid rollers.

LOL. I’ve GOT to proof read my stuff before I post it. I’ll fix it.

EDIT: WTH??? I can’t edit that post. That’s dumb.

What I wanted to say is I’m doing the RARE hydraulic lifter build.

The moronic iPad changed rear to rare and I didn’t proof read it.

Junk is junk at any price.
Junk is junk no doubt. I focus on lifters maybe a little more than I should but it’s because I hear about so many engine failures caused by them. I have really no problem with any type of lifter, you just have to use the right lifter in the right kind of build. I don’t put solid rollers and 800lbs of spring over the nose of a daily driver and I don’t expect a juice lifter to run out to 8000 rpm. They all can work when applied correctly.

I've heard comp hydraulic rollers and they can be noisy too and that's why I'm going to use solid rollers.
As above junk is junk, all hydraulics can be noisy. But for what it’s worth I have a set of comp hydraulic rollers in my big block daily driver and they have over 400,000 miles on em. I did destroy a roller and a cam recently but it was caused by a rocker failure. Not a fault of the lifter.

As above junk is junk, all hydraulics can be noisy. But for what it’s worth I have a set of comp hydraulic rollers in my big block daily driver and they have over 400,000 miles on em. I did destroy a roller and a cam recently but it was caused by a rocker failure. Not a fault of the lifter.
The recent lifter are suspect after talking to my local engine shop he said he won't use comp hydraulic roller lifters anymore he's had too many failures.

My valve springs are around 135 lbs on the seat and I don't have this problem with high-mileage factory Magnum lifters in my 360 with a custom-grind Racer Brown cam. I did set it up to have around .085" preload which is noted on the Hughes Engines website.

Same experience as @MoparR&D for me with the factory magnum rollers. They’re pretty good.

My neighbor would put a quart of ATF in every oil change and it worked good for many years over 200 thousand miles I have adjustable rockers on my 273 so no noise

Most “link bar” style HR lifters cannot be disassembled.
The piston assy won’t come out past the link bar rivet.

As for bleed down and noise, there is some good reading on the Gaterman lifter sight in the FAQ section.

And then there’s........ you think your HR lifters are noisy??

Last edited:
There were a couple of threads that went along with the video.
That motor got run on an engine dyno sounding like that prior to being installed in the car.

The cam and lifters got swapped out for something else....... noise went away.

At around that time frame there was another thread where someone had one of those lifters that wouldn’t pump up.
Got a replacement pair, problem solved.
Owner grinds the rivet down to disassemble collapsed lifter....... doesn’t find debris, but instead finds the feed hole going into the pressure chamber not drilled through.
No oil = no worky.

-
Back