Lifter swap small block

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
Hey guys I got a question for you! I need to swap out my lifter on my 318, can I leave the intake on, and just remove the lifters with a heavy duty magnet? I know for sure I will soak the new lifter in oil over night.

take it that this is a LA motor not a /6
most likely will not get them out with a magnet
use a puller
now you can soak your lifters but it U do you have to rotate the motor over at least twice stopping every 90 degrees to bled down the lifters
do not do this with tight piston to valve clearance
Best to rotate the oil pump (proper direction) with some hex stock while you rotate the motor quarter turns- and make sure oil is oiling the rockers while you do this
install valve covers and set timing if you took the dist out or timing chain
if you did do the chain make sure your tdc is on the compression stroke not exhaust
or just put them in and let them clatter till they pump up- noisy but hurts nothing
starting a motor with pumped up full of oil lifters can bend things like valves and pushrods
jusk curious, why are we swapping lifters?
do the concave test with a straight edge or put two of the lifters together- they should rock- if they are worn it's time for a new cam and lifters and timing chain

take it that this is a LA motor not a /6
most likely will not get them out with a magnet
use a puller
now you can soak your lifters but it U do you have to rotate the motor over at least twice stopping every 90 degrees to bled down the lifters
do not do this with tight piston to valve clearance
Best to rotate the oil pump (proper direction) with some hex stock while you rotate the motor quarter turns- and make sure oil is oiling the rockers while you do this
install valve covers and set timing if you took the dist out or timing chain
if you did do the chain make sure your tdc is on the compression stroke not exhaust
or just put them in and let them clatter till they pump up- noisy but hurts nothing
starting a motor with pumped up full of oil lifters can bend things like valves and pushrods
jusk curious, why are we swapping lifters?
do the concave test with a straight edge or put two of the lifters together- they should rock- if they are worn it's time for a new cam and lifters and timing chain
Thanks for the advice, I'm just tired of that damn lifter chatter lol was hoping could use my magnet to pull them out, make the job a little easier.

Remove rockers arms and push rods and use a magnet stick or finger pinch tool
to remove the lifter, its tight but I have done it. It saves a pulling the intake manifold.
But if the engine is dirty with varnish around the lifter bores you may not be able to
get the lifter out.

If the engine has many, many miles on it I don't think it will come out easy. After many miles the lifter develop a layer of varnish on the bottom side. When you try to remove the lifter it will come out until it hits the varnish then it will be very stiff. If it's a low mileage engine there shouldn't be much varnish on the lifter. treblig

Hey guys I got a question for you! I need to swap out my lifter on my 318, can I leave the intake on, and just remove the lifters with a heavy duty magnet? I know for sure I will soak the new lifter in oil over night.
I did it on a 340 with stock heads. Lifter would only fit through the head on the end. Pulled the rockers and push rods, grabbed the lifter with the magnet, drug it down to the end and wiggled it out.

I recommend NOT soaking them in oil.

Also, try removing the parts, plunger,spring etc.. from the new lifters and transfering them into the old lifters...one by one....then you don't have to break in new ones.

Just a thought.

marvel mystery oil then change to 0w-40 eurospec oil BMW LL and MB 229 spec
24 for 5 quarts at wallyworld- more other places
was that 60 going down the road?

Update, all lifters came out nice and easy with my heavy duty magnet stick, replaced them all, after i found the one that was noisy, then broke in the new ones, now it does not sound like my neighbors CHEBY. lol

Great. How did you do the break-in?
I let the new lifters soak in marvel mystery oil over night, changed oil and filter applied assembly grease on lifters and rockers filled the bowls up and started her up 2500 rpm 15 mins. just used one quart of valvoline race oil with zinc

bvvc y'all firing up after an oil soak without bleeding the lifters down by slowly rotating the motor several times with a breaker bar- not the starter- you can bend valves and/or pushrods (or were these solids?)

Stock low lifts like a stock 318 cam..... the odds of any issues is nil IMHO. And with MMO, it is so thin that the lifters probably bled down anyway with the first hint of spring pressure LOL.

-
Back