Lifter tic

-

jaws

I put the fun in dysfunctional
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 360 in my Barracuda that has a lifter that started ticking. The motor has about 3500 miles on it now. I has a Comp cam that was ground close to the 68 340 4spd spec, with comp cam lifters. Ticking started last weekend, I changed the oil to 5w 50 synthetic this week and is still ticking. Has anyone had any problems with comp lifters? Car still runs good I just don't like the ticking.

I'd say it's likely to be an exhaust leak. On the off chance it's not replace all of the lifters when you go in there.

Not sure why, but there seems to be alot of posts about comp lifter issues. I would look elsewhere for lifters if your going to change them. Why put the same parts that failed back in?

I had problems with 2 sets a couple yrs. back but even didn't tick all the time until they got really bad. The problem with them was they bled down bad overnight. The original set only lasted about 150 miles before they wouldn't pump up anymore. Comp sent me a set under warranty and they did great for about 500 miles then 1 then a couple then a few started not pumping up after sitting. I gave up and put in a Lunati cam and lifter set and haven't had any problem with them in nearly 4,000 miles. A buddy of mine also had problems on a 454 Chevy with a comp cam set the same time. But his were noisy from day one and after about 3,000 miles a lobe went flat. I've also read several other guys having problems with them around the same time. An insider told us Comp's regular USA lifter source went on strike for 2 months and they bought Chinese lifters and that's when all the problems started. After that run of junk Chinese crap it was supposedly all good.

On another note I'd check for an exhaust leak like dragonknights said cause that can sound just like a lifter tick.

ook i know some people that do the Magnum head conversion get a mild tick when the cars cold then it goes away when it warms up

Hate to tell you but I had the same problem with a comp cam and just like fishy I swapped out the cam and lifters for a setup from lunati. problem gone. the one thing though is that I hear comp and lunati use the same lifter manufacture so who knows.

so lifter tick can cause lobes to go flat?

I think of it as the other way around. A lifter tick is indicative of a lobe going flat.

Jaws I hope that's not the case. Last summer I had Crane cam and lifter set wipe a lobe in a couple hundred miles. Like others here, I swapped in a Lunati cam and lifter set and had no problems since. If you pop the valve cover with the offending tick and feel clearance on that rocker, it's a bad sign.

Bought this cam and lifters 3 years ago when I started this mess.The lifters bleed down over night and rattle like hell for about 2 seconds the all quiet. But when the car gets warm then the one lifter starts ticking not bad but enugh to bother me. Thats what I was thinking I was gona have to do. Guess I'll pull the cover this week and have a look see. Will have to keep it running for the Mopar show at Gunthers this week end though.

I might see you there, It's really not very far for me, 30 minute drive. If you see a multi-colored but mostly orange RC parked away from the decent cars, that'll be me, lol.

That's a bummer jaws since that's right in the time frame when they were having the lifter problems and that description is exactly like mine did. I bought mine Aug. 06 and it was one that had bad lifters.

BTW: If it's like mine the more you run it the worse it'll get.

-
Back