Lifting 318... please help!

-

ytownxj

Reaction score
I am trying to lift a 318 out of my 72 dodge demon and don't know how to go about it, there isn't any lift tab on my engine and I don't know i should wrap the oil pan with a tow strap and pull on that... Any suggestions? I'm sure plenty have gotten them out on here

I would suggest using a GOOD chain and remove two of the intake bolts on each end of the intake. The last bolt on the left side of the intake and the first on the right side. Longer bolts and washers are going to be needed. Insert the bolt through the chain and with a large washer on it.

I always take and put an exhaust bolt through a large chain and thread the bolt into one of the exhaust holes on the front of one side of the engine....and then I do the same thing on the opposite side but to the rear of the engine your going to also want to use washers so your bolt head will not slip through a link in your chain.

then you simply use the center of the chain as the lift point.

I have lifted and installed hundreds of engines this way without any troubles.

infact....alot of cars come from the factory with brackets in the locations I mentioned because thats where the factory would hook onto the engine.

you can also do it from intake bolts but I prefer doing it from exhaust manifold bolt holes.

they also make adapter plates that bolt to your intake where your carburetor would go and has holes in it where you can hook your engine hoist to.

its a pretty straight forward job.

also, I do not suggest using a tow strap or anything unless it is a seriously serious strap lol.....you don't want to risk your engine or your safety by using improper tools.

also, do not try using a come along hoist as they are meant to pull....not lift. ....I have done it before in a pinch but it was a very sketchy at times lol.

usye a good engine hoist or chain fall.

I just happen to be removing my kids 318 from his Dart today, so here are a few pics of how we do it. I baought the houst and adapter from Harbor Freight for about $200. The adapter sling was only $60 I beleive. Just bolt the chain under the 4 corner intake bolts, level the chain and off you go.

Attachments

• dart001.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 763
  • dart002.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 374
.... and don't do what I did. I lifted the entire front end of my cuda up with a engine hoist to install the headers. I needed up high enough so I could slide the headers from under neath rather than from the top.

Buy a lift plate that attaches to carb studs. Check Summit Racing, they should offer one that will bolt to multiple card bolt patterns.

Welcome to FABO by the way. I see your in Yorktown, I'm not to far from you.

Attachments

• Engine on hoist_14.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 310
I'm borrowing a hoist from a friend, I actually got it up last night from the intake bolts as mentioned here, worked great. Thanks everybody for the quick responses! Lift plate would be a good thing to have for the next time

And Demon 408, that's a great looking demon, good to know somebody else who owns one in the area!

Buy a lift plate that attaches to carb studs. Check Summit Racing, they should offer one that will bolt to multiple card bolt patterns.

x2 I pulled my original 318 and trans with one of these. Didn't even have to pull the hood off.

-
Back