Lifting one side of engine?

-

Crazy4408pac

N. Michigan
Reaction score
I need to lift the drivers side of the engine, so I can get a header in. What's the best way to do this? Might mention I have an AlterK with a 440. 72 Dart.
Thanks

Loosen one side engine mount and remove side bolt you want to go up. Put large piece flat wood under oil pan and jack er up. I'd loosen trans mount too

I've had to fight a number of header installations where I ended up lifting one side, the other, or both. It never seems to take the same method twice in a row. I usually start out with a creeper jack with a piece of plywood on it beneath the oil pan. I remove the motor mount bolt from the side I want to lift. If I can't get enough room I'll lower it back down and remove the second motor mount bolt. If I still can't gain enough clearance I'll hook a cherry picker up to the engine. That will give me more ability to 'wiggle' the motor around as the header drops. The headers were such a pain on my '67 Barracuda that I considered unbolting the steering gear before it finally went in. - And I ended up pounding a pretty good sized divot in one header tube that didn't clear the steering box.

Start with the steering column removed from the car if you haven't already.

I used a 2x4 on top of the fender bolts with a scissors jack screwed to it...Lifting a 3/16 section of "C" channel pivoting on a 2x6 resting on top of the other fender bolts.

Well, after removing the steering, from the rack. Removing the starter. Lifting the engine 4". Plus, having the flatten no. 4 tube, at the top. I finally have the header in.
You know, when I got the AlterK, I thought the headers were not going to be a problem. Lots of people on this site and other sites, gave many suggestion, on headers. Some said "B" bodys would work. I tried for a full day to get them to work. As I had a set from my Charger. Next were TTIs. A bud has a set and we tried for a few hours, no luck. Next were Shumacher Tri-Ys. I talk with their rep and he assured me they would fit. As they are designed for Big block A bods. So I spent the money. Passenger side was supposed to be an easy drop in from above. Finally had to work them in from below. And, you know, the story, about the drivers side.
Man! I really hate putting headers on.

I run the 2" BB headers from TTI and they fit with none of the issues you mentioned.

I run the same basic set up......a 500ci and RMS front end with power steering.

The only thing I have to do is disconnect the steering shaft at the coupler and pull the plugs.

Are you sure those TTI's were big block style?

Attachments

• 100_2028.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 100_2179.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 136
I tend to "pull" rather than "jack" it. I use my hoist and just pull up on the most convenient bolt...lol. I've gotten stuck where the jack was in the way before so for me it's just easier to keep the "under car" clear.

-
Back