Lightening Tricks For 68 HDT Dart

-
I wasn't saying that just for you.. I didn't want someone to bend up a pretzel, stick weld it together, then crash and die just because of what I said.

Slightly off topic: did you go to wyotech?

yep took the automotive core program with HPPT, Chassis Fabrication, And Street Rod add ons

yep took the automotive core program with HPPT, Chassis Fabrication, And Street Rod add ons

Nice. That is what I was going to do... But I already know most of the stuff in the core program. And couldn't see spending that much money for stuff I already knew, so now I am in engineering. I just want to learn to weld better... especially TIG.

How about the engine, you can lose a lot of weight with aluminum heads, intake, and water pump. Mini starters are much lighter than the originals too. Exhaust can get heavy, especially if you use thick gauge tubing, welded mufflers, and tailpipes. The bumper brackets on 68 Darts are pretty healthy so switching to aluminum there would help a lot. Of course fiberglass fenders, bumpers, hood and deck lid would knock off many more pounds. Moving the battery to the trunk would not lose weight but redistribute it in a beneficial way.

How about the engine, you can lose a lot of weight with aluminum heads, intake, and water pump. Mini starters are much lighter than the originals too. Exhaust can get heavy, especially if you use thick gauge tubing, welded mufflers, and tailpipes. The bumper brackets on 68 Darts are pretty healthy so switching to aluminum there would help a lot. Of course fiberglass fenders, bumpers, hood and deck lid would knock off many more pounds. Moving the battery to the trunk would not lose weight but redistribute it in a beneficial way.

Yup Im doing all of this. I think I can get my Darts race weight under 3000 with me in it no problem. And thats with a cage,connecters,full interior etc.

In my '73 Duster, a four speed car, I built two trannys using the aluminum case, side cover and extension housing from a three speed with OD. Both were the 833's. The weight difference was forty one pounds from the stock cast iron. The internals I used in one for a back up was a 23 spline, the one in the car was an 18 spline. Both were for the A body, large output, not the B or E body extension housings and mainshaft. I had to have the slip yoke modified to fit the output shaft and the extension housing, I didn't have the large output aluminum extension housing for an A body. I didn't even know they made one, but I know better now because I have one sitting here.

Heys folks, great forum and a great thread. One other thing about weight loss... I looked at the scale this morning and I'm sure I could get rid of 10 pounds. Bet its easier just to tear my dash out though. :angry7:

I will throw something in from the aircraft industry. Cut off any excess bolts protruding more than 3 thread past the nut. You would be surprised at how much weight can be cut from a car using this method. Throw all the scraps in a bucket and weigh it at the end!

-
Back