lightest A body

-
64 Dart.Slant six.This one weighed in at 2710# at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway scales

Attachments

• IMG_2058.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 159
If anyone is referencing the lightest shipping weight available for a V* upgrade, they also have to consider that when you start replacing the original /6, small rear and other light duty stuff with a V8 and related components, the weight goes back up.

The Dart Lite and Feather Dusters always facinated me, even if they don't end up the lightest when upgraded with V8 stuff. It's been a while, but the hoods are about 10-15 lbs lighter and the trunks about 5-8 lbs. HUGE difference between the bumpers that have the aluminum reinforcement bracket and the steel version. But those only bolt to the shock absorber bumper brackets. The standard bumpers with regular bumper brackets are probably lighter than a Lite/Feather bumper combo.

I've heard of some racers even "uncrimp" the aluminum bracing and recrimp it under an earlier A-body hood ('70-'72) to save weight!

Myron,

wasn't the bracing steel and the skin aluminum.????

when I had the Feather Duster hood for my green Duster media blasted...it appeared that the operator warped it....only to find out later that other aluminum skinned feather Duster hoods looked (as in wavy) that way.

Even if the shipping weight is not accurate, would it not be off similarly in all of them, so it could be used in comparisons between cars of the same manufacturer and era?
Just a thought.

Just weighed my 66 Cuda today. Small block, aluminum heads and intake, light Nippendenso alt with aluminum brackets, lightweight fabricated aluminum valve covers, Borgeson steering box, aluminum Passion 5 speed, aluminum driveshaft, tubular sway bars, tubular upper control arms and strut rods, aluminum wheels, aluminum front calipers, rear disc with aluminum brackets, aluminum master cylinder, headers and many other lightened parts. It has full interior and center console and frame connectors and weighed in at 3240 LBS without me in it. Hardly a light weight even with all the light weight parts.

-
Back