Lights go dim and bright

-

68mopar

Reaction score
When I take my 68 GTS 340 out at night, the lights (every light in the car) goes dim for a few seconds and them normal again. This happens every 5 seconds or so.

Any help would be appreciated

welcome to olds cars its the charging system perfectly normal theres cures posted in here

That's not "just how it is". My '71 Valiant doesn't do that.

I think you have the older-style non-electronic regulator and alternator if it hasn't been upgraded already, and more often than not "cycling" lights point to something going on in the regulator.

I'm not an expert on these systems, so hopefully those with more knowledge can offer some help on troubleshooting and potential upgrades.

That's not "just how it is". My '71 Valiant doesn't do thatI

That's right. it could be a problem with an old style regulator, OR it could be a problem with the harness/ bulkhead connector, or even a ground problem between the battery and regulator.

Whether you can correct the problem or not, what you're experiencing is pretty normal for an old car with a point type regulator. Add some not perfect grounds and some dirty electrical connections and you'll have flickering and dimming lights. The point type regulators add to the problem. If you replace your regulator with a electronic version make darned sure it is securely grounded to the firewall. These regulators operate by controlling the ground side of the circuit and with a bad ground they will full field the alternator and overcharge your system. (16+ volts) This will boil your battery, blow light bulbs, ruin gauges and could cause a electrical fire. Please don't ask me how I know. I'd like to forget that fiasco. LOL toolmanmike

My car did this too. I put in an electronic voltage regulator and did a general clean up on the wiring and grounds.

It went away after that.

Thanks for all the tips. I am going to go through the list tonight to see if one of these suggestiuons solves the problem.

-
Back