Lights how much is too much

-
To be honest, I didn't expect this much interest or response. While I am glad not to be alone in my suspicions, it sucks. As mentioned, the cops won't do squat, and the NTSB and NHTSA won't do anything unless the insurance companies begin litigation. Unfortunately ,that usually means someone lost their life. Not trying to be down on aftermarket suppliers. I can appreciate seeing further,clearly. Again,as mentioned, they're either inappropriately aimed or spec'd wrong. We've all seen the tremendous improvement in adding relays to our headlight circuits even with old incandescent lamps, let alone halogens. Do we need to see a thousand yards out? If you're driving that fast at night, well god be with you. I think the manufacturers should lead with a little common sense.
Just my 2¢ worth.

I recall slantsixdan had a big axe to grind with folks who deviated from factory on the electrical system, especially lighting.

No, sir, that's not it at all! What I object to is unsafe lights. There are many legitimate (safe, effective, more-or-less legal) upgrades for most of the lights on most of our cars. It's just there's a much bigger mountain of illegitimate junk of numerous kinds (unsafe, ineffective, not even a little bit legal, etc). All of it's promoted as an "upgrade", and there's a lot of bad info flushing around -- example, people say "Get H4 headlamps!" without realizing there's a huge range of performance among H4 headlamps of any given size, many of them are flatly inadequate, and subjective impressions of how well a headlamp works have no relation to their objective safety performance.

-
Back