Limits of an Edelbrock performer and 1405 600cfm carb

-
A stock 318 Magnum made 235 with a roller cam and fuel injection. Yea it was truck engine built for torque down low. And the magnum exhaust flowed almost as well as a set of headers at that power level.
For what it's worth a stock 340 was rated pretty accurate at 275 horse. I just don't see how your going to get to 330 with a 318 with a set of headers.

A stock 318 Magnum made 235 with a roller cam and fuel injection. Yea it was truck engine built for torque down low. And the magnum exhaust flowed almost as well as a set of headers at that power level.
For what it's worth a stock 340 was rated pretty accurate at 275 horse. I just don't see how your going to get to 330 with a 318 with a set of headers.

It depends on if your talking net or gross power.

Most times when we talk about stock post 73 engine were talking net. But when we talk about build ups its mainly in gross numbers.

5.9l magnum makes 235-245 hp but gross it's 300 hp which was the 300 hp create engine and was said to make 320 hp with headers. So the 5.2 magnum has to be pretty close to those numbers.

I know I started this thread asking about the intake and carb and got carried away. Lol anyway, I was thinking about cleaning the ports on the intake and heads, that should yield a little better. I suppose if I want more power I will almost have to get a bigger intake and carb and if that's the case I will just use the 360 I have. plans were to build a 408 stroker and I started taking it apart then it got put on the backburner and so I started thinking about the performer intake and 600 that I pulled off of the 360 and what it could do on the 318. Yeah you guys are right. I guess I got a little excited thinking about numbers. Lol 300 sounds more reasonable and definitely more streetable. Especially with the 3.31 stroke. I would give at least 25 more ponies over the 340 only because the lift is higher than the stock 340 cam, and the magnum heads have a better combustion chamber and exhaust ports.

Hey guys, I have a question about a magnum torque converter. I happened upon a magnum 318 cheap. Can I use the LA 360 converter in my 727 if I take the weights off? Or can I just use the converter out of the donor truck in my 727. I think the transmission in the donor truck is a 46RH

The magnum converter is a lock up type, extra shaft inside input shaft will keep it from seating on 727 pump. I have never personally removed the weights but in theory, yes it should work.

The 5.2 will work much better, step up one notch in cam, regrind and old roller lifters will work fine. Throw on a new timing set and you should be good to go. With that combo, you will easily hit 300 and depending on cam size, 325. Dont go over .500 on cam without swapping out valve springs. You have a .439" lift now. Pm me if you need a cam that will work with what you have.

Yeah, I wasn't gonna go magnum, but it's basically free. So I figured I would see what I had to do other than intake manifold and carb. If I don't have to buy another torque converter to work with the magnum engine and I can just use the one I already have that would be the best. I'm pretty broke so I'm trying to do this on the cheap.

Yeah, I wasn't gonna go magnum, but it's basically free. So I figured I would see what I had to do other than intake manifold and carb. If I don't have to buy another torque converter to work with the magnum engine and I can just use the one I already have that would be the best. I'm pretty broke so I'm trying to do this on the cheap.

Jump on it,that's a good move. I did a 5.9 Magnum swap,was shocked at the improvements inside.Should be OK,knocking the weights off the LA 360 converter.Did this on mine,works just fine.

Oh, and I know this isn't the right thread to be asking, but since we are here. I'm going to use the serpentine belt setup since I have it all. I am eliminating the AC, now the question is. How do I wire the alternator? I'm pretty sure it's just plug and a positive wire for the magnum alternator. Do I just splice in the plug in the current wires? Or should I just go V belt?

-
Back