Lincoln Locker anyone?

-

AlaskaJeff

Reaction score
I'm sure it will hold up, right?
s-l500.jpg

8.75 MOPAR spool POSI mini Mopar Dodge 741 Plymouth Dart Duster 742 489 DERBY | eBay

NOPE. Winter of 67. 57 Chev moredoor, 327, 3 speed. Weld a lock, learned to "dirt track" the car on slick roads and corners. It chewed through the snow, allright, as long as you did not plan on turning. If you wanted to turn, you BETTER have the rears broke loose so you could slide it.

That was the last winter I was home before the Navy. We had a LOT of snow that year and a "big" winter.

Next year I was going to Navy ET school at Treasure Island, San Francisco. That winter up home was worse. Dad sent me photos of snow clear to the tops of some fence posts, and not drifted, either. At one point they had to run a big cat down through town to help clear it. People ran around town with the (remember those? You are old) Union 76 orange balls on top of their antennas for visibility past the snow berms.

The OP weld job isn't great but a welded diff isn't anything new. The durability of the unit is 100% dependent on how deep the welds penetrate. Popcorn welds will fail.

True, prep is everything. After cleaning I do like to preheat with a torch.

I have welded 50+ rdiffs between derby cars and street cars. Only ever had one chew its self up and it was done almost exactly like the Ebay one. I tried I flat piece of 1/4" plate fully welded in and it twisted the plate in the center and I didn't have those crazy holes in mine...No way is gonna last.

-
Back