Line lock

-

klingon

Reaction score
I'am thinking of putting line lock in my 1969 Dart.I got drums in front will it work? If so is there any other parts needed to make it work .I just got the kit and a few steel lines.

Sure it will work. The line lock doesn't know if you have drum or disc.

There is another option, it can be plumbed to stop your rear brakes from working when applied and you would hold the front with your foot.

Be ready to have some fun either way. :D

It will work just fine by adding it into the front brake line just about anywhere you want it.
With mine I just used the steel compression unions that are tech acceptable and legal, cut the line and routed it into the line lock.
No extra lines or fittings were used as one end of the compression union is the same thread as the line lock accepts.
I did have to seal them into the line lock though, because neither thread was a pipe thread but it was well worth the outcome.

You will need to consider the brake lights also, because legally the brake lights need to come on and stay on while the lock is active.
I dealt with this in a very unique way, so when you are ready to get on it let me know and I can simplify that for you. :) so don't end up buying another brake switch for the fronts.

Attachments

• linelock3.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 469
You will need to consider the brake lights also, because legally the brake lights need to come on and stay on while the lock is active.

You say legally, as in on the road, or for the track? I don't think mine come on and I don't care if they do, but if it's something for the track then I guess I would have to address it at some point.

Are line locks even legal on the street? Again, I don't care either way because if I get caught with the line lock, chances are I'm gettin' a ticket for lots o smoke. :D

Are line locks even legal on the street?

Of course they are, unless they've been installed in such a way to make the car unsafe, and in that case, probably not safe for the strip, either

That's how I learned of them. My friend "who would" someday be the first owner of my 70 V code RR then owned a 65 Chevelle in Navy Electronics school. He bought one NOS from a broke sailor, to use on the San Francisco hills.

They are great on Seattle / San Fran / etc hills if you drive a stick.

If your adding a line lock I would suggest adding it after the proportioning valve and that will keep the proportioning valve from moving and the brake light in the dash from coming one. If it before the proportioning valve brake pedal will feel funny the next time you hit the brakes like on top end. The down side is it does take a little more work to install it and some more brake lines. Just an idea. Good Luck

Some new cars are coming out with a "roll control", or "hill-assist" which is a form of lineloc by another name..

You say legally, as in on the road, or for the track? I don't think mine come on and I don't care if they do, but if it's something for the track then I guess I would have to address it at some point.

Are line locks even legal on the street? Again, I don't care either way because if I get caught with the line lock, chances are I'm gettin' a ticket for lots o smoke. :D

Yes, they are legal on the street but only if the brakelights activate when it's in the lock function.
Around here I'd get rearended because these people anticipate that you are not even going to stop at a stop sign and slam on thier brakes when they realize you did.
I wouldn't trust them to not run into me because the lights went off.

At the track the lights don't have to come on when in use.

If your adding a line lock I would suggest adding it after the proportioning valve and that will keep the proportioning valve from moving and the brake light in the dash from coming one. If it before the proportioning valve brake pedal will feel funny the next time you hit the brakes like on top end. The down side is it does take a little more work to install it and some more brake lines. Just an idea. Good Luck

I asked about that specifically before I installed mine because I was concerned that it might adversly affect the prop valve.
Most people said that it seemed to make zero difference in how thier brakes felt.
My main concern was that after I had locked it that the valve might move and let the brakes release.
I do sometimes feel the click of the valve recentering on the next use, but barely even noticable.
I tossed the brake warning light long ago because it's pretty obvious when the brakes are not working like they should and I don't need a light to tell me.
Still, never had any adverse affects at all from the lock being before the valve.

My brakes lights are activated via a wire that comes off the lock power supply to the brake light circuit after the light switch on the pedal and a diode in the wire that does not allow power to flow back through the wires and activate the lock when you use the brake pedal.
This is a way I've never seen anyone suggest or even mention in any instructions for any lock out there.
They all suggest putting a pressure activated switch in the front brake line and run wires to the brake light circuit.
This way requires a bunch more fittings, the switch, extra lines and more wires under the hood and dash.

This is my wire diagram for the diode style circuit and if the diode fails for any reason my red "lock active" light on the dash comes on because the power backflow will activate it.

This diagram has been digitally signed, dated and submitted for patent so... :)
It can be used by people here if they wish to use it, but it can not be sold as a product without cutting a deal with me.

Attachments

• linelockdiagram.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 347
-
Back