Little advice needed.

-

CO/6

Reaction score
'74 Valiant 318 with a 904. I hade to replace the intake manifold gasket, took everythign apart, replaced, then put it all together. Waited for everything to set then gave it a quick drive around the block. Shifted a little harder at 22 mph than in the past, but didn't go over 40.

Took it out the next day and it would shift again when I started to go faster. Plenty of clean fluid in the trans. Did I not hook up the linkage correctly? I have to crawl under it tomorrow to start looking for a fix.

Any help appreciated.

Tim

When you put the linkage back on, you may have twisted in a rotation or two to make it shift harder. No harm, no foul. If anything, a auto tranny likes to shift quicker and run as cool as possible. A hrad shift shouldn't be a bad thing.

Also, you might be generating more vacuum now. This could have a play in the issue.

You mean you DIDN'T go over 40, or it WOULDN'T go over 40?

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The mystery thickens............
I think, or took it rather, that he didn't go over 40. I hope thats the case.

To clarify, I didn't go over 40 when I took it for the test ride. Now that there's no leak in the intake it's runs smooth. That may be an issue with creating more vaccum, I'm not sure. But when I took it over 40 the 2nd day it seemed like it wasn't hitting the next gear. It wasn't whining or anything. When I took it to about 45-47 and took my foot off the gas it slowed the car considerably.

What's the suggestion on what's needed?

Could be you accidentally adjusted the kickdown rod to long. That would account for the hard 1-2 shift, and possibly not letting it shift 2-3

That's what I was thinking. It would delay the 2 - 3 shift. It won't hurt the tranny.

Big DUHHHHHHHH! Simple fix. When we put the carb back on we didn't put a return spring back on the rod and it was floppy. Put a new spring on and it shifts smooth at the right speeds. I originally went to shorten up the rod as suggested and realized it was the solid style, not adjustable, so the spring missing just jumped out at me. Feel like a goof but I'm real happy it was a cheap and easy fix. Thanks for the help.

LOL, Don't feel bad. I have done that exact same thing. Crap happens!

-
Back