little help with a chevy metro? haha

-

aarong5

Aaron Grimes
Reaction score
I've got a 98 metro I drive sometimes to save money lol and it recently started making a bad vibration noise when going around 55mph but not all the time, it starts and stops randomly I thought it may be a wheel bearing but I jacked it up and all of the wheels are pretty tight, the front moves a little bit but I think its just from the steering because the rods connecting the wheel moves too, but very little, anyway can anyone tell me what else could cause this vibration? its getting worse everytime I drive it and I'm afraid I'm gonna be on the side of the road soon.

Is it a bad vibration noise or do you feel a bad vibration? What area of the car is the vibration coming from front rear left right.

I believe those cars had rust issues in their shock towers and/or control arms?? . . . check to make sure they are safe and intact. Rog

Check tire wear.If uneven on front,rotate front to back.If problem persists,X2 on C.V.shaft.

lol yes it will hit 55, the tires were brand new when I got it and I have only put 3000 miles on it so not really any wear yet, the car does however have 243000 miles it just started the vibration about 100 miles ago and I can't really tell where its coming from

I had one of those for a while. Always had me concerned with getting a speeding ticket. It liked to cruise at about 80.

Bad tire or CV joint.
Doesn't matter how many miles on them or how they look.
I would be more concerned about being upside down on the side of the road, since you said it's worse every time you drive it.
Tire separartion can happen very sudden and violently.

Although it could be just a balance problem getting worse because of the balance problem.

Take it to a tire shop and ask for a diagnostic test drive.

-
Back